Old 22-05-2003, 04:44 PM
D. S.

Default Tadpoles EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Just went out to my pond to check things out and feed the fish. I was
wondering if the bullfrog eggs had hatched. (see earlier thread) To my
amazement, there are THOUSANDS of them everywhere!!!! Covering my liner on
all sides of the pond and also in all of my filters. Should I do something,
or nothing? Are all of these going to make it to froghood? Will I ever be
able to mow again??

D. S.

Old 22-05-2003, 05:32 PM
K30a

DS wrote re all of these going to make it to froghood?

Thankfully not, or we'd be awash in bullfrogs ;-)
Predators of frog tadpoles are fish, dragon and damselfly nymphs, many species
of aquatic insects, bullfrogs themselves (lousy parents), snakes and birds.

Just watch your ammonia level, which ideally should be zero.

k30a
Old 22-05-2003, 05:44 PM
D. S.

I have LOTS of cats outside, but they have never bothered the frogs before.
They scare off all the birds.
When will the taddies start to change into frogs? Next year??
They have grown REALLY fast! I have no more string algae anywhere in my
pond!

D.S.

Old 22-05-2003, 06:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"D. S." wrote in message
Just went out to my pond to check things out and feed the fish. I was
wondering if the bullfrog eggs had hatched. (see earlier thread) To my
amazement, there are THOUSANDS of them everywhere!!!! Covering my liner

on
all sides of the pond and also in all of my filters. Should I do

something,
or nothing? Are all of these going to make it to froghood? Will I ever

be
able to mow again??

Egads!!! The first thing you should do...imediately...is send some to me.

BV.

Old 22-05-2003, 06:20 PM
K30a

DS When will the taddies start to change into frogs? Next year??

They should winter over, if there are any left.
I had lots of bullfrog eggs laid in my pond.
A year later I found one large bullfrog tadpole.

Is why I built a fishless pond, the frog bog.
I have Pacific Treefrog taddies in there, adopted
from jan.

k30a

Old 22-05-2003, 06:56 PM
D. S.

Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking?

D.S.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 22-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Nedra

OMG!!! another one :-) I'm waaay beyond your hang-up...
thank heavens......

Nedra

"D. S." wrote in message
Ok!!! I admit it...I'm a WHIMP!!!!! If they were hatched in my pond,

then
the ALL have to survive!!!!! No wonder I have soooo many animals... LOL

D.S.

"John Hines" wrote in message
ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Thankfully not, or we'd be awash in bullfrogs ;-)
Predators of frog tadpoles are fish, dragon and damselfly nymphs, many

species
of aquatic insects, bullfrogs themselves (lousy parents), snakes and

birds.

It was pointed out in the poultry newsgroup, that chickens found tads
quite tasty when they were fed to them, after being fished out of the
pond.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"D. S." wrote in message
Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking?

I am in Ellicott City, MD...which is just outside of Baltimore.

BV.

Old 22-05-2003, 08:20 PM
D. S.

I'm in the Texas Panhandle. A little to far to be sending tadpoles, I
think. But then again, I have gotten them from Trickers before. Hmmmmm

D.S.
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 22-05-2003, 09:44 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Hell...I'd pay the shipping if we can come up with a sure fire way to
protect them!

Fish are shipped internationally in plastic bags, placed in styrofoam
coolers, and shipped overnight air.

For better results, fill the bags with o2 instead of plain air.

Old 22-05-2003, 11:32 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

I am in Ellicott City, MD...which is just outside of Baltimore.

Shouldn't that be spelled Ballmore?