Old 24-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default "Bog" filtration?

Hi.
While digging this new turtle pond I've been working on, there was a very
small portion of ground where the two yard fences met, and being on the
digging spree I was, I hollowed it out about 10" deep, 18" wide, 8" tall.
If it EVER stops raining here I'm going to go out and put the finishing
touches on the digging and once again and FINALLY lay the liner, and that
will go into this little "hole" I dug, too. While I was digging it in the
back of my mind I was thinking some kind of bog filter, or place for the
clean water to enter and flow over the ledge back into the main turtle pond,
or SOMETHING. So what exactly is the criteria for a big filtration area?
Do I now put tiny pebbles in the lined hole and plant bog plants and let the
water slowly go into this area? What makes a bog filtration area a
filtering place? The media in it? The rate that the water enters it and
leaves it? Trying to make it work in my mind so I can then make it work
in reality. TIA.
Sue

Old 24-05-2003, 05:21 PM
K30a

Someone wrote this up, can't remember who, probably a group effort but here is
an explanation of a veggie filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Construct a veggie filter - an area,
10% to 20%, of the size of your pond surface area. A couple of inches deeper
than the plant baskets (the rigid black mesh baskets made specifically for
water plants) you are going to use to plant in. Plant the baskets with marginal
plants with fine gravel. Pump the pond water through at a turnover rate per
hour 1/2 to 1/4 of the pond volume. Veggie filter uses up many of the nutrients
and provides a good place for bacteria to grow. Build it with a bottom drain
(or two) for ease of cleaning - very important, this helps with backups and
leaking over the edge.

k30a

Old 24-05-2003, 07:57 PM
K30a

Sue wrote
So basically when I read about bog filters and veggie filters, they are one

in the same?

For ponders we are talking about the same thing.
A true bog exists without any water running through it and is home to acid
loving plants. So we probably shouldn't use the term 'bog filter'.

Veggie filter is running water through the plant's roots and planting media.
The plants take up the nutrients and the media is a place for benefical
bacteria to hang out.
It can be as simple as floating water hyacinths in a stock tank filter, which
is what I do.

k30a
Old 24-05-2003, 10:57 PM

my veggie filter has no planting medium with water running thru it. either the
plants are in containers in dirt and just the bottom touches the surface or the roots
are right down into the water. Ingrid

Old 25-05-2003, 12:32 AM
K30a

One thing about my hyacinth filter --- when they
are small they can block the filter outlet and do a 50% water change. ak!
I'll have to rig up something until they get bigger.
You still have to watch them but last year had no problems with blocking.

k30a
Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

I have added two new plants to my veggie filter: a tomato
plant and a few hostas. Someone mentioned them and I
thought I'd give them a try.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-05-2003, 06:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Could we on rec.ponds try to fix the terms bog & veggie? Note how K30a
defined them, those of us who use plants in a separate filtering pond have
VEGGIE filters, not BOG filters.

Could we do this? Please? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Could we on rec.ponds try to fix the terms bog & veggie? Note how K30a
defined them, those of us who use plants in a separate filtering pond have
VEGGIE filters, not BOG filters.

Could we do this? Please? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Okay. I have a veggie filter for my pond and a
seperate bog not connected in any way.

Old 26-05-2003, 08:20 PM
K30a

And I have a frog bog.
Home to happy froggy tadpoles.
No running water into or out of
it.
Occasionally it becomes flooded with rain
or sprinkler water.

k30a
Old 26-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Nedra

LOL!! I guess the term .. VEGGIE filter ... isn't actually correct as
very few of us grow Vegetable Filters ... rather, we grow Plant
Filters.
Maybe PLANT filter would be closer to the mark?
Or is this splitting hairs too closely? LOL

Nedra

Old 26-05-2003, 09:56 PM
K30a

Nedra wrote Maybe PLANT filter would be closer to the mark?
Or is this splitting hairs too closely? LOL

Hmmmmm. Good question.
Well, Bonnie is putting a tomato plant inside
her veggie filter........ *but* is a tomato a vegetable
or is it a fruit....? And if it is a fruit, does Bonnie have a fruit filter?
;-)

k30a
Old 26-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
LOL!! I guess the term .. VEGGIE filter ... isn't actually correct as
very few of us grow Vegetable Filters ... rather, we grow Plant
Filters.
Maybe PLANT filter would be closer to the mark?
Or is this splitting hairs too closely? LOL

Nedra

But I'm growing tomatoes and water celery and watercress in
mine. Does that qualify it?