Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
jammer

Default Odor detected today

I check my pond temp every other day or so. It is staying in the 70's
since i started partially covering it with cardboard during the day. I
can see nearly to the bottom, water looks clear. I have loads of
plants and a small fish load. Today i pulled up the thermometer and
there was a terrible smell. I didn't think the thermometer reached the
bottom, but i could be wrong. I haven't done a water change in a while
and will do that tomorrow, but i suppose i am supposed to be vacuuming
the pond? I planned to do this this fall anyway, but should i do it
now instead or even also? Is this a major red flag and i should act
now? I have only goldfish and a 70 gallon pondlet. No filtration, etc.
I am also afraid of killing the snails i have in there. I think i am
going to set up an aquarium and syphon the vacuumed water through a
net and get all the snails i can. Think they will live off of
anacharis and algea til next spring?
Old 12-07-2003, 03:08 AM
RichToyBox

What kind of odor? Did it smell kind of like sulfur, rotten eggs? If so, I
think it would be a very good idea to start cleaning the pond now. The
hydrogen sulfide gas is very toxic to fish, so I would try to get the fish
out without disturbing the bottom of the pond, if possible. If you disturb
the material on the bottom, then you will release the hydrogen sulfide. PP
treatment can be used per
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p....htm#POTASSIUM
to detoxify hydrogen sulfide and reduce the organic loading. I think PP is
very toxic to snails though.
--
RichToyBox

Old 12-07-2003, 11:20 PM

heh, heh... PP doesnt touch snails, at least not in the trials I tried. If it
smells bad it is most likely a dead snail. a big dead snail. Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:

What kind of odor? Did it smell kind of like sulfur, rotten eggs? If so, I
think it would be a very good idea to start cleaning the pond now. The
hydrogen sulfide gas is very toxic to fish, so I would try to get the fish
out without disturbing the bottom of the pond, if possible. If you disturb
the material on the bottom, then you will release the hydrogen sulfide. PP
treatment can be used per
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p....htm#POTASSIUM
to detoxify hydrogen sulfide and reduce the organic loading. I think PP is
very toxic to snails though.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 14-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Gregory Young

Hey Rich:
PP will kill snails, but it usually takes a higher doses than the usual 2 -
4ppm.
I found trapdoor snails died after a dose of 8 ppm, when I was sterilizing
(only temporarily of course) a pond for an owner that wanted everything
gone, to restart, but didn't want to drain it as I suggested. We found
common pond snails required a much higher dose (I can't remember now if it
was 12 or 16ppm)
Happy ponding,
Greg

"jammer" wrote in message
[...]

Geraniums odor Phisherman[_3_] Gardening 4 08-03-2009 09:48 AM
Motion detected Water sprayer Olde Hippee Ponds 2 30-03-2006 02:51 PM
Skunk odor Ed Schmitt Gardening 6 11-08-2003 06:07 AM
Pond odor follow up Jackytar Ponds 10 02-06-2003 03:08 AM
Pond odor Jackytar Ponds 14 29-05-2003 11:56 PM