Old 27-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Rhino

Default Interesting Observation Hmmmmm.....

I have a 20watt 12v underwater spotlight that shines up toward the waterfall
from the opposite side of the pond. The beam of light shines upward at about a
20deg angle. I have noticed at night that when the goldfish swim perpendicular
to the beam they "tilt" and orient themselves 100% broadside to the light no
matter which direction the are swimming to. This makes them appear to be
leaning sideways as they glide through the water. When I first saw this last
season at first I thought they were sick but now it is normal. Any comments?

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."
Old 27-05-2003, 05:20 AM
HB

This is common for allot of fish. I find it evident in my aquariums in the
evening when the tank light goes out for the night and I sit near my tank
with my reading lamp on the fish seam to roll over on their sides and swim
along the front glass.

---

Old 27-05-2003, 05:32 AM
James Williams

"Rhino" wrote :

they "tilt"

My Angels "tilt" in relation to the kitchen light when I turn off the
living room light.

People think I'm crazy, they have no argument with the "tilting" thing,
they just think I'm crazy.

---

Old 27-05-2003, 02:57 PM
BenignVanilla

"Rhino" wrote in message
I have a 20watt 12v underwater spotlight that shines up toward the

waterfall
from the opposite side of the pond. The beam of light shines upward at

about a
20deg angle. I have noticed at night that when the goldfish swim

perpendicular
to the beam they "tilt" and orient themselves 100% broadside to the light

no
matter which direction the are swimming to. This makes them appear to be
leaning sideways as they glide through the water. When I first saw this

last
season at first I thought they were sick but now it is normal. Any

comments?

The has been discussed in rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc a few times.
Apparently fish orient themselves to the sun, or surface of the water. If
you place a light from a different angle, they will orient to it as if it is
the sun. The thread in r.a.f.m that I remember had to do with someone
wanting to put lights in the bottom of their aquarium.

BV.