Old 27-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Ashley

Default An interesting observation on rose bushes

I have two rose bushes that are close to each other and about 10 years
old.
A few months ago when rose bush 1 started to flower I noticed that the
buds were different from the rest of the plant. Few days past and I
noticed that the new buds on rose bush 1 were the same as rose bush 2.
Sure enough when the bud opened the flower was identical to rose bush
2 and very different from rose bush 1.

No grafting has been done (or any other human intervention) to these
plants ever...

Could anybody suggest a reason for this????

Is it possible that the buds cells producing the seeds were mutated
and instead of the hard shelled seed being created, the mutated cells
expressed the genes to initiate stem growth - creating a different set
of genes in this new stem?
Old 27-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Iris Cohen

I have two rose bushes that are close to each other and about 10 years old.
A few months ago when rose bush 1 started to flower I noticed that the buds
were different from the rest of the plant. Few days past and I noticed that
the new buds on rose bush 1 were the same as rose bush 2.
Sure enough when the bud opened the flower was identical to rose bush 2 and
very different from rose bush 1.

Very simple explanation. The grafted top of your rose bush died and what you
see now is the understock blooming. If flowers on rose bush #1 are identical to
#2, then the same thing happened to bush #2 years ago. It is a common
occurrence on older hybrid tea roses which have been planted too shallow and/or
neglected.
If part of the original top of #1 is still alive, prune out the top growth on
the understock completely at once, and you may save it. Consult your nearest
garden center or a good rose book, to prevent the problem in the future. Dig up
#2 and discard it, unless you really like the flowers.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 05-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Peter Jason

There is another explanation. The rose bushes are social and this is an
example of synchronicity.
Peter

#2 and discard it, unless you really like the flowers.
Iris,

Old 06-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Iris Cohen

The rose bushes are social and this is an
example of synchronicity.

What on earth are you talking about? Synchronicity simply means that all the
plants of a certain species in one area bloom at the same time. What you
described simply means that you have two rose bushes which are genetically
identical.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Peter Jason

By synchronicity I mean that which causes a like response in others. Have
you never been to a boring party when one person yawning sets off the
others?
Or when two people or more are talking, some of their number will adopt
mirroring mannerisms. Or a particular post with a certain style will be
unconsciously be copied by other posters?

Old 07-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Iris Cohen

By synchronicity I mean that which causes a like response in others. Have
you never been to a boring party when one person yawning sets off the
others? BRBR

That has absolutely nothing to do with plants, and certainly nothing to do with
the flowers on your rosebushes. Synchronicity in plants occurs as a response to
natural phenomena, for example the Dendrobium where all the population of an
area bloom exactly nine days after a drop in temperature. Please watch out for
anthropomorphism.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Graham Harden

Indeed have you ever been to a party where people who stood too close to
eachother for a long period began to look alike and were in fact becoming
genetically similar?

Me either.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
The rose bushes are social and this is an
example of synchronicity.

What on earth are you talking about? Synchronicity simply means that all

the
plants of a certain species in one area bloom at the same time. What you
described simply means that you have two rose bushes which are

genetically
identical.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)