Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
C.Champ

Default Help!! Hyacinth's Drinking Water

My pond is one of those prefabed plastic ones and I have had
it since last year. Everything has been great with it this
year until last weekend. I bought 20-25 small Water Hyacinth
and put them in and now the pond loses 1-1 1/2 inches of water
per day. Is it possible that the new plants are drinking that
much. We haven't done anything else. Thanks in advance for any
help.
CC

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
James Williams

"C.Champ" wrote :

Is it possible that the new plants are drinking that
much.

Yes.

---

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Jerrispond

My pond is one of those prefabed plastic ones and I have had
it since last year. Everything has been great with it this
year until last weekend. I bought 20-25 small Water Hyacinth

All you needed was one....they grow so rapidly you will be throwing them away
soon.....they do make great mulch. Jerri

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
My pond is one of those prefabed plastic ones and I have had
it since last year. Everything has been great with it this
year until last weekend. I bought 20-25 small Water Hyacinth

All you needed was one....they grow so rapidly you will be throwing them

away
soon.....they do make great mulch. Jerri

I hope so...I need some more filtration going on.

BV.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Ken

hi,

i'd suspect other reasons for the water loss before i'd blame the
water hyacinths.

has it been warmer or windier lately? Do you have a waterfall? Could
your liner be leaking?

on windy days i lose a lot of water from the waterfall.

how big is your prefab? i have a 250 gal and i put in 3-4 water
hyacinths
in the spring. by summer i'm throwing or giving some away weekly to
avoid
them taking over.

Old 30-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Hank Pagel

I have had the same problem and found that the broad leaves of the Water
Hyacinth were under water fall or filter outlet and were splashing the water
out of the pond. Check and see this may be your problem . They will move
around in the wind and currents.
Hank