Old 01-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Denise

Default Building a waterfall

Dig a "whole" LOL. I went to college...I just can't type :-)

Do let us know how your waterfall turns out!

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
I tried a dirt waterfall years ago found that if I dug from the top
the stuff that fell didnt get into the areas already dug so I didnt
have to dig twice in the same spot

with your shale maybe that would make it easier in the long run

keep us posted on how your doing

I like that idea, thanks for the tip John.

I plan to put a waterfall in on Shareholders pond. I had planned to do it
next year, but I am thinking this summer it may get done. My plan was to
pile dirt in the area where I want it, and cut deep shelves into the pile. I
figured then I would line the shelves with scrap liner I have left over, and
then pile rocks to make the path for the water.

BV.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
GACinMass

I am thinking this summer it may get done. My plan was to
pile dirt in the area where I want it, and cut deep shelves into the pile. I
figured then I would line the shelves with scrap liner I have left over, and
then pile rocks to make the path for the water.

May I make a suggestion? If this waterfall has any length to it, i.e., it
resembles a stream, I recommend putting a drain in if possible. I have one in
the last holding pool before the water spills into the pond.

It's not a drain like in your shower, or even in your pond. Mine is a bulkhead
fitting that is threaded to receive a PVC screw in plug. When I remove the
plug, it drains out into a storm sewer.

I love this set-up for two reasons: 1) I can open the plug and hose down the
waterfall to clean it without the gunk ending up in my pond. And 2) to lower
the water level, either due to rain or to do a partial water change, all I have
to do is unscrew this plug for a few minutes.

Just my $.02 worth,

~ Gary in Zone 6a
Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Any good web site's that have details and good picture's of waterfalls How
to's??

Thanks in advance,

Sacha
Old 03-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I don't know of any Sacha, but most of us have waterfalls and we can
probably help. My waterfalls are similar to the ones described above. If
you need help or so let me know directly by email and I will describe.
Relatively easy to do!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 03-06-2003, 02:20 PM
GACinMass

Any good web site's that have details and good picture's of waterfalls How
to's??

I recommend www.AquaArt.com

Very knowledgeable and great drawings. Order their catalog too.

~ Gary in zone 6a
Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Pinkpggy

What I did was do a search for "building a waterfall" and found some great
sites. We just built a waterfall and we did ours by stacking rocks. You get a
large slab of stone to use as your base. Slightly slant it towards the pond.
We then used a cinder block as the back and just started stacking. We also put
our uv light behind the waterfall so its hidden. Once you get a few rocks
stacked, take your hose that you are going to use for the water and test to see
how the water is going to flow. Keep doing this until you get it the way you
like it. Its time consuming but it keeps you from having a flow problem later.
Don't be surprised though if you tear it apart a couple of times till you are
happy with the completed waterfall. We tore ours apart 3 times. lol If you
want to see a picture of ours, send me a e-mail and I will send you a picture.
Jan
Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Mary Alice Kropp

We just built a waterfall and we did ours by stacking rocks. You get a
large slab of stone to use as your base. Slightly slant it towards the

pond.
We then used a cinder block as the back and just started stacking.

That's basically what we did, too. The fall is just stacked rock at one end
of the pond. And, yes, it has been torn apart and rebuilt......

Pics at: http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/fish/PondPage.htm

Top pic is the first go at it. 4th down is the latest version.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 5/04/03

Testosterone is a great equalizer. It turns all men into morons.
- Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Pack

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-- Vince Lombardi

Old 04-06-2003, 04:44 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Thanks to all who gave me information it was greatly appreciated!

Sacha
Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Pinkpggy

Thanks to all who gave me information it was greatly appreciated!

Would love to see some pictures of your waterfall once you get in done. You
can see our waterfall.
Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html