Old 01-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Gail Futoran

Default IHAVETADPOLES!

ihavetadpolesihavetadpolesihavetadpoles!!!!

I'm excited. I don't recall getting this excited
at age 10 and I'm 6x that age. 2nd childhood?

I was adding some water this morning to my
in-ground 200 gallon that has a lot of minnows
and plants and snails. After I stopped the flow
I glanced into the clear and saw a whole bunch
of little black pinheads with thin little tails.
Definitely tadpoles (of some type) and not
yetmoreminnows ::sigh::

Anyway, I was so jealous when others reported
their tadpoles and now I'm not. :P

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
K30a

Gail wrote a whole bunch
of little black pinheads with thin little tails

Sounds like toad tadpoles.
congrats!
k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Moontanman

ihavetadpolesihavetadpolesihavetadpoles!!!!

I think they have medication for that! Tadpoles are great fro temporary algae
eaters.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 02-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Heather

Gail that's great! I also have tadpoles in SW Ontario. Unfortunately they
didn't just appear in my pond. We went to a puddle beside a ditch and got a
bunch of tiny black guys. I"m pretty sure they are toadpoles too. Then we
found some larger ones. Collected a bunch and we think they are green
leopard tadpoles. We are just as thrilled.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Essjay001

Gail Futoran wrote:
ihavetadpolesihavetadpolesihavetadpoles!!!!

I'm excited. I don't recall getting this excited
at age 10 and I'm 6x that age. 2nd childhood?

I was adding some water this morning to my
in-ground 200 gallon that has a lot of minnows
and plants and snails. After I stopped the flow
I glanced into the clear and saw a whole bunch
of little black pinheads with thin little tails.
Definitely tadpoles (of some type) and not
yetmoreminnows ::sigh::

Anyway, I was so jealous when others reported
their tadpoles and now I'm not. :P

Gail
San Antonio TX

Are you sure they are tadpoles. "Little black pinheads" sounds to me like
mosquito larvae (befor they reach the lavae stage)

Steve R.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 AM
K30a

I meant to say.......

little black pinheads with thin little tails

sounds like toad tadpoles.

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 05:20 AM
bern

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message ...
ihavetadpolesihavetadpolesihavetadpoles!!!!

I'm excited. I don't recall getting this excited
at age 10 and I'm 6x that age. 2nd childhood?

Definitely second childhood. I am 6X+4 that age and still get excited
by such stuff. Congratulations on the Toadpoles! When they
metamorphose, you will probably see some very miniature toads.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Essjay001

K30a wrote:
I meant to say.......

little black pinheads with thin little tails

That is what was said. It is my experience that any standing water in the
garden attracts mosquitos and there are the tiniest tadpoles (with heads
less than a millimeter across) before the strange looking larvae appear. By
that I mean at less than a tenth of the size that I would consider a
frog/toad tadpole, and there are gazillions of them.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
K30a

The difference between tadpoles and mosquito larvae~~~~

Tadpoles, after they first hatch, hang out on the sides of the pond, on the
sides of plants, plant baskets and anything else they can be next to.
The difference between tadpoles and mosquito larvae is that the mosquito larva
must be at the water's surface. They will not rest anywhere below the water's
surface like tadpoles do.

When disturbed the mosquito larva wriggle away rapidly and go down further into
the pond. But they must come back up to the surface as this is where they get
their oxygen.

Tadpoles will swim away but stay down in the pond, they have gills and do not
need to come to the surface to breath. Newly hatched they are working on their
yolk sack for nurishment so they stay fairly quiet. Later they will come to
the surface for some of their feeding.

And, of course, tadpoles turn into frogs or toads and mosquitoes make the
headlines! A case of West Nile has been announced here in SE WA.
wah!!!!

k30a
Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gail Futoran

"Essjay001" wrote in message
K30a wrote:
I meant to say.......

little black pinheads with thin little tails

That is what was said. It is my experience that any

standing water in the
garden attracts mosquitos and there are the tiniest

tadpoles (with heads
less than a millimeter across) before the strange looking

larvae appear. By
that I mean at less than a tenth of the size that I would

consider a
frog/toad tadpole, and there are gazillions of them.

I know what mosquito larvae looks like, thanks.
I have a gadzillion minnows in that "standing
water" 200 gallon pond with tons of water
plants, I don't think any mosquito has a chance
in Hades of surviving. Water in containers
(no fish, no plants) get mosquito larvae but
I treat with mosquito dunks.

Gail

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gail Futoran

"K30a" wrote in message
[...]

My tad/toadpoles are sucking away at rocks,
pond liner, plant baskets, plants (live or dead matter),
mostly hanging out around the bottom. I would move
some to my above-ground pond to help with algae
but there's really no way for them to leave that easily
when they mature.

Hey, if my photos come out maybe I'll
post them.

Gail

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gail Futoran

"K30a" wrote in message
Gail wrote a whole bunch
of little black pinheads with thin little tails

Sounds like toad tadpoles.
congrats!
k30a

Could well be toads. I had a Bufo valliceps -
Gulf Coast Toad hanging around the area
where I put the pond last winter. But I also
have frogs around (not sure of the kind -
they resemble Rana sphenocephala -
Southern Leopard Frog) so it could be either.
I'll definitely report on what emerges.

Gail

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gail Futoran

"Heather" wrote in message
.. .
Gail that's great! I also have tadpoles in SW Ontario.

Unfortunately they
didn't just appear in my pond. We went to a puddle beside

a ditch and got a
bunch of tiny black guys. I"m pretty sure they are

toadpoles too. Then we
found some larger ones. Collected a bunch and we think

they are green
leopard tadpoles. We are just as thrilled.

I thought about collecting tadpoles. We do
have some creeks within a mile or so. But
I got lazy, then nature did its thing.

Gail

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gail Futoran

"Moontanman" wrote in message

ihavetadpolesihavetadpolesihavetadpoles!!!!

I think they have medication for that! Tadpoles are great

fro temporary algae
eaters.

Oh yeah. It's getting hard to find algae in the
pond. Do I have to worry about the babies
starving?

Gail

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Gail Futoran

"bern" wrote in message
om...
"Gail Futoran" wrote in

message

t.net...
ihavetadpolesihavetadpolesihavetadpoles!!!!

I'm excited. I don't recall getting this excited
at age 10 and I'm 6x that age. 2nd childhood?

Definitely second childhood. I am 6X+4 that age and still

get excited
by such stuff. Congratulations on the Toadpoles! When they
metamorphose, you will probably see some very miniature

toads.

Glad to hear I'm not the only old child around.
How long to metamorphosis?

Gail