Old 14-07-2004, 11:03 PM
2pods

Default Leeches

I've seen "proper" leeches before in natural ponds, marshes etc.
However, when buying some oxygenators for our small pond, I noticed what
looked like a small transparent leech.

I *thought* I'd hosed it off the plants before the went in, but today there
were three hiding in the folds of the liner.

I managed to net them out, but wondered are they the same as the "normal"
leeches" and can I get rid of them for good ?

Peter

Old 15-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ka30P

Transparent leeches?!
I haven't ever come across or heard of those
beasties. Can you describe it a bit more?
Does it have a mouth and does it move about?
Can you remove it from the liner?

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 15-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Charles

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:55:54 +0100, "2pods"
wrote:

I've seen "proper" leeches before in natural ponds, marshes etc.
However, when buying some oxygenators for our small pond, I noticed what
looked like a small transparent leech.

I *thought* I'd hosed it off the plants before the went in, but today there
were three hiding in the folds of the liner.

I managed to net them out, but wondered are they the same as the "normal"
leeches" and can I get rid of them for good ?

Peter

Why not leave them alone. Most leaches are scavengers or predators on
smaller organisms, the minority are ectoparasites (blood suckers)

They serve as fish food as well.

--

- Charles
-
Old 15-07-2004, 01:05 AM
2pods

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Transparent leeches?!
I haven't ever come across or heard of those
beasties. Can you describe it a bit more?
Does it have a mouth and does it move about?
Can you remove it from the liner?

kathy :-)
algae primer

Hi Kathy

To me, it looked like a small (about an inch and a half) see-through leech.
You know, bigger and flat at the top with the rest of it tapering down to a
rounded end.

As I say, there were three of them huddled in the corner folds of the liner
(it's a raised pond, so I can see right into the corners.)

Peter

Old 15-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Ka30P

Peter, you've got to get down there, pry one off and check it out for me. Might
you have a digital camera? Or a magnifying glass?
I'm very curious ;-)

Have you ever seen snail eggs? They are transparent and are glommed onto
things, like liners. They could look like a transparent leech.
The only other transparent things I've seen were, what I think, hapless
caddisfly larva deposited by their mother with no pebbles and sticks with which
to build their cocoon. They eventually wound bits of string algae around
themselves.

This is what I know about leeches.
Most eat vegitative and decaying matter. Handy to have around. I've kept them
inside to keep glass ponds clean. A few suck blood but they look like blood
suckers.
You can always test your leech by offering it yourself (not recommended) or a
piece of raw liver.
There are also flatworms who look like leeches.
If you look closely you can see two eyes on the top of their heads, or front
ends, as opposed to their tail ends.

Leeches can be caught, if they are the carnivorous kind, by suspending a
strawberry basket in the pond with some raw liver bait.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 15-07-2004, 01:05 AM
2pods

I'll take the camera down tomorrow and see if I've left any :-)

I want to take some shots of a diving beetle to see if it's a pest or not
anyway.

Peter

Old 15-07-2004, 01:03 PM
SVTKate

ummm... cause the idea of getting one on you is
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Kate

Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Phisherman

Leeches are in my pond. That's why I wear hip boots when I'm in
there. Whenever I have to evict a snapping turtle, I find that it is
covered with leeches. There's a way to catch leeches using some raw
beef liver, but I'd only do that if I wanted to use them for fish
bait.
Old 15-07-2004, 03:02 PM
2pods

I managed to find another one, but the light here (west of scotland) is
awful for photos just now.

This one is smaller (1 inch) and wrigglier (?) and looks like a transparent
worm which keeps going into a U shape.

Peter

Old 18-07-2004, 10:04 PM
pixi

Right!!!

ink.net...

Old 20-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Ka30P

[...]

Yikes !!! (Leeches) (Kathy Bette E Ponds 0 16-07-2004 05:02 AM
leeches Fred Ponds 22 13-02-2004 08:28 PM
leeches? GaneaRowenna Ponds 8 05-06-2003 06:44 AM
Leeches Floyd Ponds (alternative) 5 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
advice needed for spring cleaning/catch those leeches Mike Sullivan Ponds 0 19-04-2003 04:32 PM