Old 04-06-2003, 04:32 PM
-keevill-

Default algae problem

In my garden, I've got a waterfall and small stream constructed out of
concrete, about 45 mts long and 2mts deep and the water is full of algae.
Can someone point me in the right direction for curing this problem?
Is UV treatment the answer?

Old 04-06-2003, 04:56 PM
K30a

Algae fighting tips

~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going!
~ add LOTS of plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi) and *not*
overfeeding the fish.
~ building a mechanical filter to screen gunk.
~ build a veggie filter, run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
I use A HREF="http://united-tech.com"http://united-tech.com/A
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV filters - expensive but work on green pea soup water (single cell algae).
~ patience and time ;-)

k30a
Old 04-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"-keevill-" wrote:

In my garden, I've got a waterfall and small stream constructed out of
concrete,

What is the pH ?

about 45 mts long and 2mts deep and the water is full of algae.
Can someone point me in the right direction for curing this problem?
Is UV treatment the answer?

Could be? Describe the algae ? Is it 'hairy' or is it suspended like
'pea soup' ?

jay
Wed, Jun 4, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Old 04-06-2003, 10:56 PM
K30a

No, but I'd go here for starters ;-)

http://www.pondrushes.net/

Keep in mind that mechanical and bio filters are usually one and the same in
most humble ponds.
It is the mechanical part of the filter, brushes, pads, screening that filters
out the gunk that feeds the alage. The bio part is where the bio bugs live and
convert ammonia through the nitrogen cycle. The bio part does not contribute to
algae reduction as it is just making plant food.

Keeping food for algae out of the pond is what most of the tips are about -
gunk removal, decaying plants, fish poo - all algae food. Shade also removes
the nutrition from the sun.

k30a

Wed, Jun 4, 2003

Old 06-06-2003, 05:20 AM
-keevill-

The water is pea green and if I take a sample in a bottle and allow it to
settle overnight, then green gunge sinks to the bottom of the bottle and the
remainder is clear.
Does this help anyone for clues for me pls?

Wed, Jun 4, 2003

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 AM
K30a

Maybe these will help ~

[...]

~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond