Old 06-06-2003, 05:32 AM
crclark

Default Pressureized Filters

Hi, to the all knowing and most trusted ponders...Has anyone tried a Calpump
Pressure Bio Filter?? I am in need of a filter I can clean without calling
my daughter and getting into the pond and lifting out a 2T rolled filter
w/pump...(ton maybe exaggerated) but very heavy. We then wash it, re-roll
it and it is good for maybe another week. My water is crystal clear, but
cleaning the darn thing is really a pain..Fish and plants are healthy so
maybe I should just quit whining. My pond is 23'x18'x2 and holds close to a
1000 gal. I am still working on getting the gunk off of the bottom. What
does anyone think??? I have always appreciated your help in the past years
and would never have know a lily from and iris had it not been for this
group..Thanks
Connie, Idaho

Old 06-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Mark T.

Hi Connie,
I don't know if you're into building your own filter,
but if you are, here's a good link.

http://www.mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

There is a fluidbed filter listed there that you're not supposed to
have to ever clean.

And then Skippy's, at this link;

http://www.skippysstuff.com/index.html

say you never have to clean their filter either. You can
buy it from them or build it yourself. Lots of good information
about filters and ponds at their site.
I've called them on the phone and, like all the people in
this newsgroup, they were very helpful.

Hope this helps,

Mark

thlink.net...

Old 06-06-2003, 10:20 AM
David Modine

I just recently installed the Calpump 4000. I think it is good unit for the
price.
The model 4000 is advertised as having 1 1/2" male NPT inlet & outlet, but
it actually has 1" threaded connection points with an adaptor to 1 1/2", so
you will need a pump with some pretty decent pressure ratings in order to
get maximum flow through those smaller fittings.
It comes with 6 sponge inserts, 2 each of very fine, medium & coarse. Also
included are some bioballs. I added some very coarse filter mat at the top
of the unit.
The backflush feature does not work very well. There is to much restriction
from the small backwash exit port, which does not allow a large flow of
water while in backflush mode.
I think it is a good addition to my filtration sytem, but I would not want
to rely on it as the only filter on my pond, which is similarly sized to
yours.
David

thlink.net...

Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Iain Miller

My pond is 23'x18'x2 and holds close to a 1000 gal.

If those dimensions are correct & the depth is even across the pond, my
calculator says that holds about 6400 US gallons (!)

Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 PM
crclark

Not only am I truly red faced embarrassed, but now know I have not been
playing with a full deck at least for the last 4 yrs. My grandson built the
pond and gave me the measurements...so, I've been under everything since day
one....I am surprised I haven't had more trouble with pond/plant and
fish...My daughter and I went out a measured for ourselves....the pond is
20'x15x18"...So my pump and filter are too small for the size of pond I
have...Now I have to play catch up...Thanks for your help and I'll be
checking in to building my own filter and pray for the best. Thanks
everyone for helping out once again...Connie
news

Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

crclark wrote:
Not only am I truly red faced embarrassed, but now know I have not been
playing with a full deck at least for the last 4 yrs. My grandson built the
pond and gave me the measurements...so, I've been under everything since day
one....I am surprised I haven't had more trouble with pond/plant and
fish...My daughter and I went out a measured for ourselves....the pond is
20'x15x18"...So my pump and filter are too small for the size of pond I
have...Now I have to play catch up...Thanks for your help and I'll be
checking in to building my own filter and pray for the best. Thanks
everyone for helping out once again...Connie

With the new dimensions, your pond is 3,366 gallons.

--
Bonnie
NJ