Old 08-06-2003, 02:20 AM
James S McNinch

Default tiny red worms

We cleaned out pump filter and the filter material had a lot of real small
worms in it. What are they?

Jim

Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 AM
claranews

Touché; cleaned the top pads of the filter this afternoon and they were full
of "blood worms" they are a life cycle stage of a flying insect which
resembles a small gnat or mosquito but don't bite, so not a problem. You
might have noticed those on the surface or above water sides of the filter.
The worms make a home of a cocoon of mulm [dirt] you probably noticed those
as well.
I picked mine out of the pads and fed them to the fish, a treat as far as
they are concerned; the worms are sold in LFS for feeding to aquarium fish.
Roddy