Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
zookeeper

Default Koi Food Survey

K30a wrote:
zookeeper wrote
If I can find out why my mosquito dunks are not working,

I've never checked but is there an expiration date on the container. Maybe they
are past the date?

That's what I was wondering, but couldn't find anything about an
expiration date. Everything I had read seemed to suggest that the Bt is
dormant until added to water (apparently you can place dry dunks or dunk
bits in dry areas that might flood later).

I mistakenly thought mosquito dunks caused the larvae to die on contact,
and was curious about why I was seeing so many live larvae in the "koi
food" breeding pool. So I checked a few sources on line last night and
discovered that the larvae don't die immediately, but that the Bt in the
dunks causes them to die slowly but before they become adult mosquitos.
So looks like I'm not contributing to the possibility of West Nile virus
spreading rampantly through Oregon. :-)
--
Kathy B, zookeeper

Old 17-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We use catfish food.

They are apparently doing fine after 5 years. Eating their full at $11 per
51 lb bag.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"bobkiely" wrote in message
I use a product called "Satori" $5-7/lb. medium pellets (for fish over 4"

in
length)
Fish meal, ground wheat, shrimp meal, dehulled soybean meal, dehydrated
alfalfa meal,wheat germ meal......
38% protein
They have a "Color Enhancing formula and a "Growth formula. I use both and
give them a little of each.
Bob Kiely
wrote in message
I get Ogata from Jo Ann.
1-251-649-4790
white fish meal, krill, spirulina, wheat germ soy bean alfalfa, yeast

garlic vitamins
38% protein
5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag. these are larger pellets.
what I have found in the inside tanks is the higher the quality and less

"fillers"
the less I need to feed and the filter stays cleaner much longer.
Ingrid

zookeeper wrote:

Okay, I've googled rec.ponds and related web sites until my eyes are
blurry!!! Trying to find a concensus on what to feed our pond pigs, aka
koi. So I thought I'd try a newsgroup survey. If everyone can just
indicate the brand of food they feed, and maybe the first 3 or 4
ingredients and/or protein percentage.

I've fed mostly Wardley's koi food for six years, but the recipe seems
to have changed, and the price has skyrocketed. I'm now looking at
Miracle Koi Food because the first four ingredients are fish based. Any
one else using Miracle Koi Food (by Clearwater)?