Old 13-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Default Koi Food Survey

zookeeper,

It appears that Ingrid is not practicing what she has been preaching all
these years, but that is par for the her course.

Most any food that you buy for your fish is going to be good. A lot of the
"Japanese Brands" are expensive, but that is due to importation and shipping
costs.

There is nothing wrong with the Purina foods and as has already been stated
they have been used by members of this list and the fish are doing great.
Cotton pick there have been people on this list that have fed their fish Cat
Food and swear by it, so the choice is up to you. Virtually any food that
you purchase for KOI will probably be good and nutritious for your fish. It
all depends on how much or how little money you want to spend to do this
portion of your KOI care. As Jerrispond states in the message following
yours the amount mentioned is more than is spent on their family, but that
is that person.

You can always by small portions of different foods and try them out on your
fish anyway. There may be some that the fish will not eat and others that
they eat like vultures. So buy a few a try them out before you make a
commitment to a large quantity to save money buying in bulk.

HTH

Tom L.L.
-------------------------

"zookeeper" wrote in message
I get Ogata from Jo Ann.

1-251-649-4790
white fish meal, krill, spirulina, wheat germ soy bean alfalfa, yeast

garlic vitamins
38% protein
5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag ...

I looked at Ogata, but the list of ingredients I saw had wheat germ as
the second ingredient and soy bean meal as the fourth ingredient (White
fish meal, wheat germ meal, krill meal, Soya bean mill, Alfalfa meal,
yeast, garlic, ox bile powder, chitin (Chitosan), vitamins, etc). I had
previously read that it's best to use feed where fish / shrimp / protein
comprise the first 3-4 ingredients. See, this is exactly the kind of
thing that confuses me. :-/
--
zookeeper

Old 13-06-2003, 04:56 AM
~ Windsong ~

One fine day: zookeeper picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: Okay, I've googled rec.ponds and related web sites until my eyes are
:: blurry!!! Trying to find a concensus on what to feed our pond pigs,
:: aka koi. So I thought I'd try a newsgroup survey. If everyone can
:: just indicate the brand of food they feed, and maybe the first 3 or 4
:: ingredients and/or protein percentage.
======================
I just posted above about Catfish food from Tractor Supply at $10.99 for a
50 lb bag. Whatever is left over in the fall I feed to the dogs, and get a
fresh bag in the spring. My Koi and Goldfish are thriving. :-) No need
to spend mega-bucks to feed them.

--
Carol.......
"War does not determine who is right,

Old 13-06-2003, 05:08 AM
~ Windsong ~

One fine day: Tom La Bron picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: Zookeeper,
::
:: Before they came out with Sho-Gold (Sho-Gold is for Goldfish) I used
:: Sho-KOI, which is an extremely good food. Fish seem to relish it
:: and it is a good growth food also when feed in proper portions.
=======================
These foods get expensive for people with a lot of large koi and goldfish to
feed Tom. My fish are now going through almost 2 lbs a week.

Old 13-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Tom La Bron" wrote:

zookeeper,

It appears that Ingrid is not practicing what she has been preaching all
these years, but that is par for the her course.

Most any food that you buy for your fish is going to be good. A lot of the
"Japanese Brands" are expensive, but that is due to importation and shipping
costs.

There is nothing wrong with the Purina foods

The Vet I work with prefers them because in 'lean' times he doesn't
think they will skimp on ingredients.

jay
Thu, Jun 12, 2003

"zookeeper" wrote in message
I get Ogata from Jo Ann.

1-251-649-4790
white fish meal, krill, spirulina, wheat germ soy bean alfalfa, yeast

garlic vitamins
38% protein
5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag ...

I looked at Ogata, but the list of ingredients I saw had wheat germ as
the second ingredient and soy bean meal as the fourth ingredient (White
fish meal, wheat germ meal, krill meal, Soya bean mill, Alfalfa meal,
yeast, garlic, ox bile powder, chitin (Chitosan), vitamins, etc). I had
previously read that it's best to use feed where fish / shrimp / protein
comprise the first 3-4 ingredients. See, this is exactly the kind of
thing that confuses me. :-/
--
zookeeper

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Old 13-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Jerrispond

I m feeding Mazuri Koi pellets by Purina
mainly because of the price roughly $20 for 20 lbsWhere do you get Mazuri

Koi pellets for that price? Better yet, where can I?

Feed stores carry it. If they don't have it they can get it. Mazuri also
has a website, but I don't remember the address. Unless it is an emergency I
believe dog food for dogs, koi food for koi Some people on this ng don't
like mazuri because of the corn in it....but that is an ongoing debate like
gravel in the bottom of a pond ) Jerri

Old 13-06-2003, 06:08 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'm aSho-gold & Sho-koi person, though I do add some variety. With only 14
koi and probably the need to reduce the herd more, I can afford this stuff
via plant sales. ~ jan

"zookeeper" wrote in message
Okay, I've googled rec.ponds and related web sites until my eyes are
blurry!!! Trying to find a concensus on what to feed our pond pigs, aka
koi. So I thought I'd try a newsgroup survey. If everyone can just
indicate the brand of food they feed, and maybe the first 3 or 4
ingredients and/or protein percentage.

I've fed mostly Wardley's koi food for six years, but the recipe seems
to have changed, and the price has skyrocketed. I'm now looking at
Miracle Koi Food because the first four ingredients are fish based. Any
one else using Miracle Koi Food (by Clearwater)?
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 13-06-2003, 06:20 PM
K30a

I buy the stuff on the shelf at petsmart. I think it is sho-koi.
But I also add the morning's collection of earwigs and snails and worms. And
about four to six bunches of watercress a week (at $2 a bunch!).

k30a
Old 14-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Tom La Bron

Carol,

I know, that is why I have been buying it from the guy who makes for the
last 4 years. I certainly don't buy it by the pound, which usually runs
about $14 a pound including postage and handling; I purchase it in bulk and
it works out to about $4 a pound including postage and handling, although
since I am buying Sho-Gold, it does come in a Sho-Koi bag because I am the
only one that buys Sho-Gold that way. Then again I do feed other feeds.
Personally, I happen to think it is one of the best foods around and I have
had very good luck with it.

Tom L.L.

Old 14-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Tom La Bron

Carol,

Most of the Catfish feeds are very good, but the only reason I don't feed it
is that it is a floating food and I like to feed my fish only sinking foods.

Tom L.L.
.. .

Old 15-06-2003, 04:56 PM

I only use around 5 lbs for the year up here. I saw how little Jo Ann and Steve were
feeding their monsters only once a day and realized that I had probably been
overfeeding mine. Since they dont have much of a stomach it is all in and out in 5-6
hours, so if I feed them too much it is just fouling the water.
The problem with non-fish food is the balance of individual amino acids and fats are
not optimal for fish. The problem with cheaper food is all those carbohydrates are
not digested and foul the water and filter. I have something like 25 koi I guess
they are worth about a buck a piece to feed for the year.
The other thing I like about getting better quality from someone buys it fresh and
keeps it frozen before shipping. I remember my first batch of koi, got a 22 lb back
of trout food sitting in a feed store and it was rancid. I didnt know any better and
fed that to them anyway. Food been sitting around in hot warehouses or whatever isnt
going to have the necessary vitamins anymore. Ingrid

(Jerrispond) wrote:

5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag ...

That costs more than the food I feed my family.....No can do!!! Jerri

Old 16-06-2003, 03:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

It can be amazing how much edible stuff falls or flies into a pond. Noticed
this with the lily pond, with just tadpoles, how many drown bug bodies I
find on the surface that I'd never see in the koi ponds because they are
eaten. ~ jan

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
zookeeper

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
It can be amazing how much edible stuff falls or flies into a pond. Noticed
this with the lily pond, with just tadpoles, how many drown bug bodies I
find on the surface that I'd never see in the koi ponds because they are
eaten. ~ jan

While waiting to read through and "digest" all of the answers to my
original question, I was holding off on buying koi food. Luckily (for
the koi that is), our swimming pool liner has several holes so I have
not yet cleaned the pool for the teens. It is teeming with mosquito
larvae (even with using the Dunks!!), dragonfly and diving beetle
larvae, and lots of midge worms. I've been scooping those out for
several days and feeding them to the koi. I fed about 1/2 to 1 cup at a
time, and within an hour or so, there are no visible signs left of the
larvae in the koi pond -- hungry critters! And lots of fun watching the
koi zig-zagging across the pond after the bugs.

If I can find out why my mosquito dunks are not working, I might keep a
small pool of green water just to supplement the regular diet I feed the
koi.

My order of Miracle Koi Food has arrived, the koi love it; will let
everyone know how it works out.
--
zookeeper

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
K30a

zookeeper wrote
If I can find out why my mosquito dunks are not working,

I've never checked but is there an expiration date on the container. Maybe they
are past the date?

k30a