Old 13-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Shelly

Default Question on PH

Hello Ponders,
I have a small pond (~400 gal) and I have a Ph problem. The Ph of the
city water here is 7.4 but after a few days in my pond the Ph goes to
8.0. I'm not sure why, my guess is maybe there's a rock in there that's
elevating the Ph. I feed my fish tons of food and I have it a "little"
bit over-stocked which you'd think would lower the Ph, and then after a
few days it's back up to 8.0. Should I leave it alone or should I put
some peat in the filter system? What do you suggest? The fish seem
fine, but I do get algae blooms every time it rains? (I hear that with
higher PH algae thrives??)

Thanks for any information
Shelly

Old 13-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Sam Hopkins

8.0 is fine. If anything the rain will make your PH drop. Some algae like a
high PH, some like a low PH, some like a 7.0 PH. As long as you are 6.5-8.5
(others have 9.0+) you're fine.

Old 13-06-2003, 02:32 PM
John Rutz

--

Shelly

dont wory about it Koi and Goldfish do just fine with ph up to 9
my pond stays mre or less stable at 8 8.5
right now I have 115 koi in there

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 13-06-2003, 03:08 PM
John Hines

Shelly wrote:

I have a small pond (~400 gal) and I have a Ph problem. The Ph of the
city water here is 7.4 but after a few days in my pond the Ph goes to
8.0. I'm not sure why, my guess is maybe there's a rock in there that's
elevating the Ph. I feed my fish tons of food and I have it a "little"
bit over-stocked which you'd think would lower the Ph, and then after a
few days it's back up to 8.0. Should I leave it alone or should I put
some peat in the filter system?

That is a very small change, and a not bad at all pH.

I'd suggest leaving it alone.

Old 13-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Now, if ya want a "technical" answer he the water coming out of your tap
is not sufficiently oxygenated, probably heavier in CO2 that DO. It comes
from wells, being pushed through pipes, etc. Now, once it gets in your
pond, it's exposed to oxygen and plants and all that good stuff. CO2 is
acid, which makes pH drop. Once the CO2 is aerated out, the pH rises. For
an experiment, take a 5 gal. bucket of water straight from the tap and drop
an airstone in it. Betcha dollars to donuts that by tomorrw, the pH will be
higher than it was when you first put it in the bucket!

BTW, 8 is a very good pH: I wouldn't mess with it if that's where it wants
to be!

Lee

Old 14-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Shelly

A Very Big Thank You for your advice! I was really worried about my
fish, but I will worry no more! Thanks so much!!

Shelly

Old 24-06-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

A Very Big Thank You for your advice! I was really worried about my
fish, but I will worry no more! Thanks so much!!
Shelly

I'm surprised no one said anything about KH. You pH is fine, yes, but if
you don't have adequate KH you could be in trouble. Easy way to check
without a KH test is do a pH test at dawn and another at dusk on a sunny
day. If your pH is more than 0.4 in difference get a KH tester and ask here
for help if needed. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~