Old 14-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Snooze

Default mint in ponds

This morning I was walking along side a creek near my house, when I noticed
that a large clump of mint is growing in the middle of the creek. How
effective is mint at being a veg filter type plant?

We have mint growing in our yard, would this mint work? Or shall I clip off
some of the mint, down by the creek, that's well above the waterline, and
sprout it in a bucket of pond water?

So far the WH have been slowly doing their thing, they haven't really shot
off like one would have hoped just yet. More water lilies are definitely a
must for next year, plenty of surface area to cover up still.

--
Sameer

change the two in my email address to a 2, when replying

Old 14-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Mint works. In our veggie filter, however, it did not put out the number of
roots we would have liked. Parrots feather, watercress, water celery and wh
send loads of fine roots that trap particles. The mint had more top and
less root mass. We have moved away from it...although shoots of it continue
to come up in the hedge behind the berm. The mint we used was ordinary land
mint.

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
thlink.net...

Old 14-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Snooze wrote:
This morning I was walking along side a creek near my house, when I noticed
that a large clump of mint is growing in the middle of the creek. How
effective is mint at being a veg filter type plant?

We have mint growing in our yard, would this mint work? Or shall I clip off
some of the mint, down by the creek, that's well above the waterline, and
sprout it in a bucket of pond water?

So far the WH have been slowly doing their thing, they haven't really shot
off like one would have hoped just yet. More water lilies are definitely a
must for next year, plenty of surface area to cover up still.

I have mint in my vf. The only problem is keeping it under
control. It tends to get leggy if left alone.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 14-06-2003, 03:32 PM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Mint works. In our veggie filter, however, it did not put out the number of
roots we would have liked. Parrots feather, watercress, water celery and wh
send loads of fine roots that trap particles. The mint had more top and
less root mass. We have moved away from it...although shoots of it continue
to come up in the hedge behind the berm. The mint we used was ordinary land
mint.

Good luck.

Jim

I havent had good luck with mint in the water tryed both "land" mint and
water mint but I do have it growing like mad in the rocks that separate
the pond from the rose garden
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com