Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
*muffin*

Default Petting the fish

lol
my daughter had over 150 guinea pigs once,, all with names!!

muffin it is "said" you MUST name a new animal on your property or its bad
luck... think it was an old Indian 'thing' & can't remember what the time
frame is ( I also am NOT naming all my fish, thank you..)

I named the first 4 I got I refused to name the 150 that were given to
me ( never ofer to adopt a closing ponds fish sight unseen )
sides Im too old to remember that many names ;-)

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Denise wrote:
WAY COOL!

I was told by guy I buy my fish from to always make sure hands are WET
before touching fish (protects their slime coat)

Have you named your fish? Anyone here name their fish?

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Sure, mine are Chomp, Munch, Spot, Lemon, Bandit, Junior,
Gin, Casper, and Marco. The others haven't earned names yet.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
GACinMass

Have you named your fish? Anyone here name their fish?

Queen Latifa, Basho (Japanese poet), Bassarino (old fishing lure with a red
head & white body), Brain Damage (had neurological reaction to parasite),
Peaches, Helmut (looks like he's wearing a helme), Tortoiseshell, Sunshine.
Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
GACinMass

Have you named your fish? Anyone here name their fish?

In addition to naming fish, we named the stream & pond: Perspiration Stream and
Achenbach (as in aching back) Lake.
Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Hank Pagel

"Snooze" wrote in message
thlink.net...
"jammer" wrote in message
Never in a million years did i think i would be petting my fish with
my finger. It was cool and definately a first! Guess he missed me.

In a country where you can stick the word "anti-bacterial" on
anything, and
thousands of germphobic morons will fork over billions of dollars
annually
so they can constantly bath the good and bad bacterial in low doses of
antibiotics and help raise the resistance level.

And yet in the same country we've got porgers who willingly stick
their
hands into stagnant water filled with fish poop, rotting algae and
barley
straw, and then tell all their online friends that they touched a fish
covered in mucus-like-slime.

To quote Russian comic, Yakov Smirnoff, "What a country!"

Sameer

Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Hank Pagel

OK ........ The anti-bacterial soap is to wash your hands BEFORE you
pet the fish. Don't want them getting sick, do we? Rinse well.
"Snooze" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Old 16-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Bern Muller

"jammer" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 00:18:20 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

It's the ultimate sign that you have earned the trust of your fish, and

that
they are letting you in their life! The first time mine let me, I went
crazy for joy.

-snip-
he'll get anything i think he'll like. ....I did not intend to get
attached to a fish!! (Ok, i hear this faint roaring laughter and head
shaking going on) Lord help me if something gets him...

That's the problem of habituating an outdoor fish to eating from your hand.
They may think the splashing from the neighborhood raccoon is just you, and
find our differently too late. If they remain shy they are less likely to be
inappropriately trusting.

Old 16-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Pinkpggy

Have you named your fish? Anyone here name their fish?

Absolutely. LOL We have Miss Piggy,Lemon Drop, and Goldie.

Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html
Old 16-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Moontanman

I used to have a catfish that would swim into my hands and allow it's self to
be lifted out of the water. It would swim up to be petted and rubbed. It was a
black bullhead.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me

Old 16-06-2003, 11:32 PM
jammer

I need to name one of mine, Rover. He roves around constantly munching
on roots and bugs and basically anything in it's path.

I gave them an orange section today. They took a few stabs at it, but
it is still there.

Old 17-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Snooze

"jammer" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:25:43 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

I guess you'd have to have been there...

I've touched the fish in our pond, it's fun. I was just comparing the two
different ways this nutty land works.

I often wonder for example how did the Indians or Cowboys living in Texas,
Arizona or New Mexico survive out there with out air conditioning, compared
to people in offices today who complain when the a/c or heater is a few
degrees off from the ideal temp...Hey buddy go stand outside for 10 minutes,
it's 100F with 85% humidity, then come back inside and tell me it's too hot
inside.

How did people do their daily routine every day with out the various
anti-allergy medications available today. Somehow I don't think that anyone
living out in the Midwest or the plains of Africa complained much about the
grass pollen levels just 200 years back.

There is something more then "you just get used to it"

Sameer

Barnyard petting zoo paghat Gardening 3 02-05-2005 01:32 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Algae free fish tank vs Algae fish tank -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 23-10-2003 03:03 AM
Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours. [email protected] Ponds 99 20-08-2003 08:02 AM
SOS! SICK FISH!/do all dead fish float?/Melafix?/Furanase Jo Bohannon-Grant MD Ponds 3 10-06-2003 04:08 AM