Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Richard C. Eberhardt

Default Mosquito Traps and Koi Ponds

I live in the Chicago area. Even before I had a pond in my backyard, we had
a real problem with mosquitoes in the evenings. We regularly would be
driven inside the house at dusk.

Now that we have two ponds, the situation has not really changed. I check
the corners of the pond and the areas between boarder rocks regularly for
larvae, but don't really find any. I believe that the mosquitoes are coming
from another area of the block, particularly my rear neighbor's yard.

Lately, I have read about devices such as the "Mosquito Magnet" which
produce a plume of carbon dioxide to mimic mammal respiration. When the
mosquitoes follow the plume back to its source, a vacuum sucks them into a
trap.

I am considering this for my yard. I wonder if any ponders have experience
with this type of technology. It seems to be safe, but I am concerned that
the CO2 could settle over the pond and interfere with fish respiration.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks,

Rich