Old 19-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Steve and Lisa

Default Tadpoles

For Mother's Day my son (age 13) bought me a couple Bull Frog tadpoles. My
question is...are there some tadpoles that never turn to frogs, or does it
take forever for them to get their legs?

When young I use to go to a creek near our home and collect tadpoles watch
them over the spring to summer turn to frogs and release them, maybe my old
mind is remembering it quicker than it actually was, but these guys seem not
to be changing.

Lisa

Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Steve and Lisa wrote:
For Mother's Day my son (age 13) bought me a couple Bull Frog tadpoles. My
question is...are there some tadpoles that never turn to frogs, or does it
take forever for them to get their legs?

When young I use to go to a creek near our home and collect tadpoles watch
them over the spring to summer turn to frogs and release them, maybe my old
mind is remembering it quicker than it actually was, but these guys seem not
to be changing.

Lisa

Bullfrog tadpoles take much longer. Mine usually get their
legs the second summer. K30 will give exact time line.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 19-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Steve and Lisa

Thanks Bonnie...... so guess I'll have to wait till next year eh? Now I can
stop checking daily...lol!

Lisa

Old 19-06-2003, 01:32 PM
K30a

Depending on your location bullfrog tadpoles turn into frogs during their
second summer. Quicker in the South, longer in the North.

Eventually they will grow big enough to include fish in their diet. Very
helpful if your fish have been reproducing like crazy.

On the other hand if all your fish are pet fish you might want to reconsider
the tadpoles while you still have the chance. You can check your state's fish
and wildlife page to see if they are considered a nuisance species in your
state. They are native east of the Rockies, out here in the West they arrived
via escapees from frog leg farm ponds.

I like bullfrogs for population control and the fact that they are so aquatic,
you can enjoy them. On the other hand I got tired of nightly croakfests.
Bullfrogs seem to have a longer courting season long after the other frogs have
been there, done that. Again this is different in different regions of the
country. Here in SE WA they croak from late June to late August.

k30a
Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Steve and Lisa

Having spent my summers on the lake in Michigan....I rather enjoy the sounds
of crickets and frogs at night. Guess it all depends on what sounds you
enjoy. We live in NE Ohio, which I suppose means next summer legs. (We got
them from Lily Blooms and there were several in the tank with legs, but then
she didn't give us those....hmmmm)

Thanks for the Info K30a.

Lisa

Old 20-06-2003, 12:32 AM

In , on 06/19/03
at 11:16 AM, "Steve and Lisa" said:

For Mother's Day my son (age 13) bought me a couple Bull Frog tadpoles.
My question is...are there some tadpoles that never turn to frogs, or
does it take forever for them to get their legs?

Bullfrogs can take two years to complete their metamorphosis.

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles? David W.E. Roberts Ponds 7 13-05-2003 06:08 PM
Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles? David W.E. Roberts Ponds (alternative) 11 13-05-2003 06:08 PM
Tadpoles, what to feed? K30a Ponds 2 06-05-2003 03:56 AM
Tadpoles eating my Water Lilys - Any suggestions? IKD Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Where the heck are the tadpoles? Sam Hopkins Ponds 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM