Old 22-06-2003, 03:44 PM
John Hines

Default fake gator for pond?

All the postings on losses to birds, coupled with the death of kid in
FLA by alligator, and catching a rerun of the James Bond movie where he
escapes being fed to alligators, and low and behold, the idea bulb went
off!

Someone needs to make a foam alligator decoy, which could be floated on
a tether in a pond. Only the eyes and nose and snout would need to be
modeled, not the whole body, it would only need to be a foot or two
long.

Solar cells, and a couple of LED's could make the eyes glow at night.
The foam body will hold enough batteries to keep it going a while, a
couple of days, overnight, and through cloudy days.

Those ultrasonic things that make water vapor, could make the snout
appear to "breath" mist, possibly a prop, so it could move around. Do
this at random, so it appears alive.

Now it would seem to me that what appears to be a 12' gator lurking in
your pond would be a big deterrent to any bird that would recognize
this.

Which should be most of them, and other animals, will see it as a
predator at least.

Be quite a novelty for humans as well. Little kid, "A gator in the
pond, why?" A: "to keep kids from swimming in it".

If someone wants to take this idea and run with it, I ask only credit
for the idea, and a freebie unit.
Old 22-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Lori

Someone needs to make a foam alligator decoy, which could be floated on
a tether in a pond. Only the eyes and nose and snout would need to be
modeled, not the whole body, it would only need to be a foot or two
long.

This is already available on the market.
Can't find the URL off hand to send....

Solar cells, and a couple of LED's could make the eyes glow at night.
The foam body will hold enough batteries to keep it going a while, a
couple of days, overnight, and through cloudy days.

Hmmm wonder if the purchased gater could be modified?

Those ultrasonic things that make water vapor, could make the snout
appear to "breath" mist, possibly a prop, so it could move around. Do
this at random, so it appears alive.

Gators have misty breath? :-)

Now it would seem to me that what appears to be a 12' gator lurking in
your pond would be a big deterrent to any bird that would recognize
this.

AND to any unsuspecting human.

Old 22-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Lori

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:12:40 -0400, Mike wrote:

http://www.pondusa.com/decoys.htm

That's it, thanks!

Old 22-06-2003, 04:56 PM
John Hines

Lori wrote:

Those ultrasonic things that make water vapor, could make the snout
appear to "breath" mist, possibly a prop, so it could move around. Do
this at random, so it appears alive.

Gators have misty breath? :-)

Ok, may be a little Harry Potter influence, as well.

A floating Nessy maybe for our UK friends.

I've seen the misters in the pond dept, seems like a kinda fun idea, I
don't want one myself, but a cute idea.

I just have this visual in mind, a raccoon, at night, looking for a
snack at night, and this thing lights up, and "breathes" mist on him. I
think that would be a deterrent.

I wonder if it could heat sense a warm mammal or bird, at night with
some IR detector of some sort....

Old 22-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Bob H

Here is one for you, the mouth opens and closes 3' long should scare
the.....well you might have extra clean up to do.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...58069&siteid=7

Old 22-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Nedra

So all the Koi and goldfish jump outta the pond and run
like **LL !!! That thing would scare me ...

Nedra

Old 22-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Lori

Here is one for you, the mouth opens and closes 3' long should scare
the.....well you might have extra clean up to do.

Ohhh cool!!!!
Old 22-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

Back to the topic of the Water-Spraying Scarecrow, I just this minute
purchased one on E-Bay for $49.95. Definitely worth trying for that
price!
Sue

Old 23-06-2003, 05:56 AM
*muffin*

I have the one from

www.designtoscano.com

Old 23-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Lori

Check these out!
http://www.justliners.com/floatgators.htm
Old 23-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Lori

Old 30-06-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Try this one: http://www.aqua-mart.com/show.pl?cmd...ts&subcatid=23

3 piece floating gators small, medium and large. (Scroll down once at the
website) ~ jan

Lori wrote:
[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-06-2003, 07:23 PM
John Hines

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Try this one: http://www.aqua-mart.com/show.pl?cmd...ts&subcatid=23

3 piece floating gators small, medium and large. (Scroll down once at the
website) ~ jan

The little (12") baby one further down looks cool. Especially for $7

thanks

Gator Blades and deck wheel Questions thebigguy Lawns 2 11-05-2010 02:51 AM
Gator blades anyone? ceed Lawns 1 31-03-2006 03:35 AM
Replacement Weed-Wacker Head: "Grass Gator Load n' Cut" fixed 4 line head - Any Good ? Robert11 Lawns 1 05-07-2005 10:35 AM
Replacement Wee-Wacker Head: "Grass Gator Load n'Cut" - Any Good ? Robert11 Gardening 2 04-07-2005 04:22 PM
How do you decorate the bottom of a pond? Fake stone or gravelpicture DD DDD Ponds 4 12-04-2005 03:13 AM