Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 AM
DD DDD

Default How do you decorate the bottom of a pond? Fake stone or gravelpicture

My pond is doing good but the black colored bottom of the preform I have
is to plain looking. Is there anything I can get to lay on the bottom?
Like maybe a fake picture of gravel or pond stone? Maybe something that
can handle being in water all year. I had real gravel and no way will I
do that again. I dont want real stone either. Just some easy to clean
item. I know most say its good bacteria ect, but Im not going that
route. Any one have any ideas here? I have some green plants but my
turtle loves them and eats them, I wont give up my turtle. LOL.. Thank
you.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 AM
~Roy~

Put some gravel in it.....contrary to what has been common belief that
rocks and gravel make a heaven for nasties, it has been brought to
light that gravel etc and typical accumulation of muck on the bottom
is not as bad as you have always heard it was.......I am not gonna get
into the entire thread that was posted on this topic, in conjunction
with some tests run (legitimate lab tests) but if your interested it
can be found on koiphen.com. Sheds a whole nother light on all the
brands of pond enzymes to kick start bacteria and gravel / rocks on
the bottom.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Ann in Houston

Regardless of the ongoing controversy, the poster stated that she had
already tried that route and didn't want to do it again, based on her
own experience. Which, btw, is the best way for ponders to decide
these disputed methods - not necessarily by their own mistakes, but at
least by being able to observe for themselves the results. I don't
understand wanting to decorate the bottom, since it will be covered
with beneficial algae soon, anyway, but some pond store, somewhere
probably sells it. I know someone on this group posted about using a
liner that was printed like rock, some years back. That might still be
available and a Google search might pull it up. If I wanted to use it
for that purpose, I guess I would just cut a piece the right size and
shape to cover the bottom and use big rocks to anchor it down in the
corners and at each side's midpoint. If they were fairly big, they
wouldn't act like the rocks that people put on their pond bottoms to
mimic a natural pond. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Ann in Houston

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I found a link in Gardenweb that may
help you.
http://www.yardcare.com/expertadvice...waterpond.html
The product you might like is described in the body of the article,
kind of far down. Just read it, but it is introduced with a subtitle.
It isn't a liner, but is designed to go over your liner. Good luck
with it.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 AM
DD DDD

Ok thank you I will look into that.