Old 26-06-2003, 06:08 PM
David Larson

Default Need koi ID, please.

Hello all,

OK, so I was at my local koi dealer yeaterday and saw this one beauty that was new to me. The koi
has a dull dark grey body about 4 inches long, and has individual silvery specks scatterered all
over. The specks shimmer in the light. The nearest I can figure is a variation of Kawarimono-Karasu
but the silver specks confuse me.

Anyone here know the name of this specimen?

- David

Old 26-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

David Larson wrote:
Hello all,

OK, so I was at my local koi dealer yeaterday and saw this one beauty that was new to me. The koi
has a dull dark grey body about 4 inches long, and has individual silvery specks scatterered all
over. The specks shimmer in the light. The nearest I can figure is a variation of Kawarimono-Karasu
but the silver specks confuse me.

Anyone here know the name of this specimen?

- David

I though Kawarimono was a non-metallic koi. If it has
silver it cannot be Kawarimono, it would be Hikari Karasu.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-06-2003, 09:20 PM
David Larson

Hello Bonnie,

David Larson wrote:

OK, so I was at my local koi dealer yeaterday and saw this one beauty that was new to me. The koi
has a dull dark grey body about 4 inches long, and has individual silvery specks scatterered all
over. The specks shimmer in the light. The nearest I can figure is a variation of Kawarimono-Karasu
but the silver specks confuse me.

Anyone here know the name of this specimen?

I though Kawarimono was a non-metallic koi. If it has
silver it cannot be Kawarimono, it would be Hikari Karasu.

That is what I thought at first, but the black (Karasu) is not metallic (Hikari), but rather is of a
dull dark grey nature. Only the few silvery scales appear metallic (Gin).

- David

Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 PM
PER JOHANNESSON

Some metallic koi without a variety of their own are shown in Kawarimono
class.
This, however, sounds more like a soragoi (grey, non metallic) with
kinginrin scales (a diamond or pearl like shine to the scale itself and not
to the skin.) Of course it is hard to tell without a picture.

Regards,
Per Johannesson

"David Larson" skrev i meddelandet
Hello Bonnie,

Old 29-06-2003, 12:08 AM
PER JOHANNESSON

Sorry, I just reread the original post and noticed that David wrote "DARK
grey". In that case it should be a karasugoi or maybe magoi. A soragoi is
light grey.

Regards,
Per Johannesson

Old 30-06-2003, 09:20 AM
zookeeper

David Larson wrote:
OK, so I was at my local koi dealer yeaterday and saw this one beauty that was new to me. The koi
has a dull dark grey body about 4 inches long, and has individual silvery specks scatterered all
over. The specks shimmer in the light. The nearest I can figure is a variation of Kawarimono-Karasu
but the silver specks confuse me.

David, found this photo while shuffling through the Internet today.
http://www.goldenkoi.com/new_koi/koi...-004-small.jpg
Is this close to the same color?
--
Kathy B

Old 30-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Jerrispond

and has individual silvery specks scatterered

The specks are called gin rin they look like diamonds , and can be on any
color fish.... I have an orange and black gin rin ....beautiful......Jerri