Old 26-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Michael Grossman

Default Is it a Koi?

Hi,
I have a question about whether or not some of my fish are Koi or a cross
between my Koi and Shubunkins. I started out with 3 Koi and 3 Shubunkins
about 5 or 6 years ago. Needless to say, I haven't had to buy anymore fish
since then. I now have plenty of their offspring some of which are Koi and
some are shubunkins. Then I have several which I can't be sure of. They
are an olive drab color. Some have longer fins than the Koi, but most have
the body shape of the Koi. Until now I couldn't see any barbels on them so
I figured they were shubunkins that had more of goldfish characteristics
with no color. Now on closer inspection I find that they do have Barbels.
But only 1 set not 2 like my Koi, and the barbels are smaller. When
compared to Koi of the same size....about 4 to 5", the barbels are about
half the size. I would love to know whether they are true Koi, or a cross.
Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 26-06-2003, 10:20 PM
PER JOHANNESSON

Hi Michael,
They are probably a cross between koi and shubunkin and therefore not
fertile. True koi have, as you noticed, two sets of barbels.

Regards,
Per Johannesson

Old 27-06-2003, 03:32 AM

barbels = koi

[...]