Old 24-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Tom La Bron

Default Bio-balls vrs Springflo vrs Bio-fill

Bill,

I too have been committed to bio-balls, but they have always worked
great, so I have never thought much about changing, until this year.
A place on the internet that has it cheaper than anyone for a spool of
the stuff and is right here in Oklahoma, has got Springflo and I have
been toying with the idea of using it. My commitment to bio-balls
still stands, but what I have thought of doing was putting the
springflo in the bottom of the filter and the bio-balls on top of the
springflo, this way I was still use the investment in bio-balls, but
maybe get some more bioactivity with the Springflo. I can go with
this setup because my filter acts like a wet/dry filter and the water
trickles down through the medium.

Tom L.L.

Fish Head wrote in message . ..

Plain Bill,

Bio-Balls were touted as the thing to use several years ago and I
purchased enough to fill a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank bio-filter
design. Now, I am resigned to use them forever. They ARE
indestructible. The stock tank filter required a pre-filter in the
pond, that was high maintenance and I switched to a rather exotic
filter with 4 fifty-five gallon drums. I use these same bio-balls in
the new filter system.

The bio-balls act as a bed or platform for bio-action (I guess),
although they never actually seem to have any type of appreciable
bio-film on them. The bio-balls do serve to capture bio-matter and/or
whatever micro-fine particulate matter that passes though the
bio-ball. They will act as a mechanical filter, for what ever your
pre-filter passes. They can clog and may require periodic cleaning.

In a loose state they are trouble to handle and clean. A 1/2 cubic
foot or 1 cubic foot mesh bag is ideal to contain and deploy the
bio-balls. When I need to clean my clean my filter system, I fill a
spare barrel with pond water and then shake or agitate the bags in the
clean pond water. This dislodges any of the insoluble dirt or dust
that has settled in the bio-ball crevises. THEN, I quickly throw the
bags back into the pond, so they do not dry out and loose whatever
bio-film that might be active. When the filter system is all cleaned
and ready for return-to-service then I collect the bags and return
them to their two fifty-five gallon barrels. I have a photo at my
website of the four barrels at http://bmoke.freeyellow.com/cppg024.htm

I would love to tinker with the spring-flo stuff, but the bio-balls
work for me.

Bill M.

Old 25-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Fish Head

On 24 Jul 2003 14:10:41 -0700, (Tom La Bron) wrote:

Bill,

I too have been committed to bio-balls, but they have always worked
great, so I have never thought much about changing, until this year.
A place on the internet that has it cheaper than anyone for a spool of
the stuff and is right here in Oklahoma, has got Springflo and I have
been toying with the idea of using it. My commitment to bio-balls
still stands, but what I have thought of doing was putting the
springflo in the bottom of the filter and the bio-balls on top of the
springflo, this way I was still use the investment in bio-balls, but
maybe get some more bioactivity with the Springflo. I can go with
this setup because my filter acts like a wet/dry filter and the water
trickles down through the medium.

Tom L.L.

My pond was originally built with equipped with a 100 gallon stock
tank bio-filter, loaded with bio-balls. When the filter was initially
flooded and placed into service the buoyancy of the bio-balls became
immediately apparent. The bio-balls required a roll of stiff 1/2 inch
square plastic mesh covering the bio-balls with another layer of lava
rock on top. The first year the bio-balls did not foul because they
were not heavily loaded with fish waste and pond mulm.

In the following years, the fish reproduced and I added 4 KOI. This
complicated the maintenance of water quality and clogging of the
filter system.

Good fortune provided me with the Jan Jordan link
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ and the plans for a four barrel filter
system. With the luxury of this set-up, clear and healthy water is
facilitated. Using the BZT aquaculture supplement seems to be keeping
the filter free of clogging. Nitrites are fairly low.

Early this spring I did buy an 1800 foot long spool of poly-twine,
like they use at Home depot to tie material to your roof rack.
Thought about trying this stuff for the bio-filter media, simply to
experiment. Since things are progressing so well, though, I'll suffer
along with the installed set-up.

Bill M.
Old 28-07-2003, 06:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:09:39 GMT, Fish Head wrote:

Good fortune provided me with the Jan Jordan link
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ and the plans for a four barrel filter
system. With the luxury of this set-up, clear and healthy water is
facilitated. Using the BZT aquaculture supplement seems to be keeping
the filter free of clogging. Nitrites are fairly low.

Always makes one feel good when one's work on a website helps someone in
this hobby. Thanks. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Marimo Balls, Moss Balls, Aegagropila linnaei, Cladophora aegagropila John Smith[_5_] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 21-09-2008 08:30 PM
better fill balls now or Harvey will finally depart them below you Samuel N. Winger United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:06 PM
she wants to fill kind balls between Chester's shore Rabbi Excelsior O. MacIlleche United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:06 PM
Springflo opinions Bill Stock Ponds 1 03-05-2005 04:25 AM
Inexpensive Bio Balls or Rock for Bio Filter TomM in NY Ponds 5 21-04-2004 12:08 AM