Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 AM
PlainBill

Default Bio-balls vrs Springflo vrs Bio-fill

I'm finding the media (floor scrubber pads) in my new filter isn't
working nearly as well as I hoped. Looking over the various types of
media, I've identified three products that seem to have the
characteristics I would like, and the costs seem to be roughly the
same. In each case, it would appear that it will cost $50-60 for
enough to give me sufficient surface area. (I don't have the tools to
make the PVC ribbon myself, or that would be the media of choice).

Springflo ribbon media and Bio-fill seem to be similar in concept, but
different materials (PVC vrs Polypropylene/calcium carbonate). It
would appear the big advantage of these is the ease of cleaning. I'm
a little concerned about their durability, however.

Bio-balls on the other hand would appear to be more likely to trap
solids, and I'm concerned about cleaning, as well as durability.

Does anyone have any suggestions on these, especially their
durability?

Thanks,

PlainBill
Old 27-06-2003, 06:56 AM
laskdfpoiwq

I have the Springflow and love it. I have two spools in a 50 gallon horse
barrel (my sump) for about three years now. I shake it out about once month
when it is warm and once in spring. I highly recommend it.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Jerry

I have Springflo for my filter. I find it very easy to clean when filter
gets over gunked. Bio balls where messy and had to be dumped out hosed down
and picked up and placed back in filter and to me they didn't "feel" like
they did the job like Springflo.
135 gallon pond.
Tetra PF-1 Filter- came with bioballs.
2 Over sized Ruykin Goldfish - who are about to be enrolled in "Jenny Craig"
if they don't lose some weight.

jerry

Old 27-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Rutz

Jerry wrote:
I have Springflo for my filter. I find it very easy to clean when filter
gets over gunked. Bio balls where messy and had to be dumped out hosed down
and picked up and placed back in filter and to me they didn't "feel" like
they did the job like Springflo.
135 gallon pond.
Tetra PF-1 Filter- came with bioballs.
2 Over sized Ruykin Goldfish - who are about to be enrolled in "Jenny Craig"
if they don't lose some weight.

jerry

I tried bio balls in the filter of my first pond seemed thay ended up
all over the yard when i cleaned them and once in a while they floated
up out of the filter into the pond
Just my 1.5 Cents

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 27-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Hines

PlainBill wrote:

I'm finding the media (floor scrubber pads) in my new filter isn't
working nearly as well as I hoped. Looking over the various types of
media, I've identified three products that seem to have the
characteristics I would like, and the costs seem to be roughly the
same. In each case, it would appear that it will cost $50-60 for
enough to give me sufficient surface area. (I don't have the tools to
make the PVC ribbon myself, or that would be the media of choice).

Look in the Yellow (business) pages, under packaging distributors, and
see if you can find a distributor of plastic banding. It is very common,
used by lots of companies, available everywhere.

Get roll or two of what ever size you want.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
PlainBill wrote:

I'm finding the media (floor scrubber pads) in my new filter isn't
working nearly as well as I hoped. Looking over the various types of
media, I've identified three products that seem to have the
characteristics I would like, and the costs seem to be roughly the
same. In each case, it would appear that it will cost $50-60 for
enough to give me sufficient surface area. (I don't have the tools to
make the PVC ribbon myself, or that would be the media of choice).

Look in the Yellow (business) pages, under packaging distributors, and
see if you can find a distributor of plastic banding. It is very common,
used by lots of companies, available everywhere.

Get roll or two of what ever size you want.

I don't have a bio-filter per se, as I am using a VF, but I plan to add one
eventually. I have started saving the straps from boxes of paper from
Staples, 6 pack rings, the locking rings from milk containers, etc. I
figure, when I am ready to build the bio filter, I'll have plenty of media
ready.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
MLF

"PlainBill" wrote
Springflo ribbon media and Bio-fill seem to be similar in concept, but
different materials (PVC vrs Polypropylene/calcium carbonate). It
would appear the big advantage of these is the ease of cleaning. I'm
a little concerned about their durability, however.

Bio-balls on the other hand would appear to be more likely to trap
solids, and I'm concerned about cleaning, as well as durability.

Have a look at:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bioballfaqs.htm

http://forum.kingsnake.com/dragon/messages/17204.html

http://www.koi.com.my/forum/KOI_Talk...filter_P16249/

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/recarl...filterpage.htm

http://www.tortoise.org/general/pondfilt.html

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 27-06-2003, 06:08 PM
PlainBill

Thanks for the testimonial. Have you ever had to replace the
Springflo?

PlainBill

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:57:48 GMT, "laskdfpoiwq"
wrote:

I have the Springflow and love it. I have two spools in a 50 gallon horse
barrel (my sump) for about three years now. I shake it out about once month
when it is warm and once in spring. I highly recommend it.

.. .

Old 27-06-2003, 07:26 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
I don't have a bio-filter per se, as I am using a VF, but I plan to add one
eventually. I have started saving the straps from boxes of paper from
Staples, 6 pack rings, the locking rings from milk containers, etc. I
figure, when I am ready to build the bio filter, I'll have plenty of media
ready.

A true honest-to-goodness PORG -- I did the same thing, only I started
gathering the plastic media even before we moved into the house with a
pond. My DH thought I was a little "ditzy" but when I used some of my
"found" filtering material in a biowheel aquarium filter and it worked,
he stopped wondering about having me treated for my "funny" obsession.

Be careful with the 6 pack rings though - they become brittle from
exposure to heat and cold, found one in my front flower bed that
disintegrated when I tried to pick it up -- *&#@!)@ little pieces.
--
Kathy B

Old 28-06-2003, 12:44 AM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
PlainBill wrote:

I'm finding the media (floor scrubber pads) in my new filter isn't
working nearly as well as I hoped. Looking over the various types of
media, I've identified three products that seem to have the
characteristics I would like, and the costs seem to be roughly the
same. In each case, it would appear that it will cost $50-60 for
enough to give me sufficient surface area. (I don't have the tools to
make the PVC ribbon myself, or that would be the media of choice).

Look in the Yellow (business) pages, under packaging distributors, and
see if you can find a distributor of plastic banding. It is very common,
used by lots of companies, available everywhere.

Get roll or two of what ever size you want.

I don't have a bio-filter per se, as I am using a VF,

I took the liberty of defining a VF as a bio-filter that uses plants as
its bacterial growth medium. After looking at the roots on floating
water plants, and the surface area they have, and resulting bio action,
IMHO (and totally non-scientfic) that accounts for the majority of the
filter action.

The plant nutrient uptake is just an extra benefit.

eventually. I have started saving the straps from boxes of paper from
Staples, 6 pack rings, the locking rings from milk containers, etc.

Yeah, someone who opens up lots of packing boxes, should have a ready
source, go down to the receiving docks (if your company has them) and
check it out.

Again, I think a VF is a version of a bio filter.

A warning though, 6-pack rings are UV degradable.

(can you tell I had a consulting client that made both 6 pack rings, and
plastic strap?)
Old 30-06-2003, 02:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
Again, I think a VF is a version of a bio filter.

I agree...although it seems like those of us that have VF's refer to them as
VF, and those of us that have buckets full plastic strapping call them bio
filters, so I figured it was safe to generalize. Thanks for clarifying. Your
point is well taken, and anyone that wants to argue need only lift a WH out
of their VF and look at the root mass. *laugh*

A warning though, 6-pack rings are UV degradable.

Thanks.

BV.

Old 24-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Fish Head

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:05:35 -0400, PlainBill
wrote:

[...]

Plain Bill,

Bio-Balls were touted as the thing to use several years ago and I
purchased enough to fill a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank bio-filter
design. Now, I am resigned to use them forever. They ARE
indestructible. The stock tank filter required a pre-filter in the
pond, that was high maintenance and I switched to a rather exotic
filter with 4 fifty-five gallon drums. I use these same bio-balls in
the new filter system.

The bio-balls act as a bed or platform for bio-action (I guess),
although they never actually seem to have any type of appreciable
bio-film on them. The bio-balls do serve to capture bio-matter and/or
whatever micro-fine particulate matter that passes though the
bio-ball. They will act as a mechanical filter, for what ever your
pre-filter passes. They can clog and may require periodic cleaning.

In a loose state they are trouble to handle and clean. A 1/2 cubic
foot or 1 cubic foot mesh bag is ideal to contain and deploy the
bio-balls. When I need to clean my clean my filter system, I fill a
spare barrel with pond water and then shake or agitate the bags in the
clean pond water. This dislodges any of the insoluble dirt or dust
that has settled in the bio-ball crevises. THEN, I quickly throw the
bags back into the pond, so they do not dry out and loose whatever
bio-film that might be active. When the filter system is all cleaned
and ready for return-to-service then I collect the bags and return
them to their two fifty-five gallon barrels. I have a photo at my
website of the four barrels at http://bmoke.freeyellow.com/cppg024.htm

I would love to tinker with the spring-flo stuff, but the bio-balls
work for me.

Bill M.
Old 24-07-2003, 05:12 PM
PlainBill

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I've already abandoned the bio-ball
approach. Others had reported similar problems.

Based on recommendations, I decided to try a variation of the bio-fill
/ Springflo approach- I bought a roll of 'strapping tape' - more
properly known as poly strapping. I found a 14,000 foot roll on eBay
for less than half of the normal retail price, even when shipping was
added. The big problem with poly strapping is it has positive
bouyancy.

It still isn't the final solution, and I'm trying to figure out how to
add a mechanical filter, but it's getting there!

PlainBill

wrote:

[...]

Marimo Balls, Moss Balls, Aegagropila linnaei, Cladophora aegagropila John Smith[_5_] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 21-09-2008 08:30 PM
better fill balls now or Harvey will finally depart them below you Samuel N. Winger United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:06 PM
she wants to fill kind balls between Chester's shore Rabbi Excelsior O. MacIlleche United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:06 PM
Springflo opinions Bill Stock Ponds 1 03-05-2005 04:25 AM
Inexpensive Bio Balls or Rock for Bio Filter TomM in NY Ponds 5 21-04-2004 12:08 AM