Old 27-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Gareee©

Default Yet another pond liner question...

Some of our pond plans have had to change, and now we're looking at a 10x10
or 15x15 pond in the backyard with a small waterfall.

I know that people have mentioned using roof liner as pond liner, and others
have recommended ordering it online and having it shipped.

What's the best way to buy it for the price conscious? Advantage's
disadvantages??

We were going to have a small pond with a spring flowing through it, but
some of the grading may have forced us to change that idea, since there's a
8ft tall pile o dirt near it now.

The waterfall in the front hasn't changed, but I don't think we will be able
to feed enough water to make it look nice enough, and might have to rely on
seasonal watershed for our "falls". (There was no line put in before the
rocks were placed, and they are FAR to large to move unless you have a large
track hoe.)

We'll have the grader dig out about 3-4 ft., and 15x15, and I'll backfill
the dirt to create a more pleasing shape, if needed.

So cheapest way to get a liner/alternate material.. local homedept/lowes,
ect., or online? (I imagine shipng costs hurt the online idea)

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 27-06-2003, 11:44 PM
joe

Gareee© wrote:

So cheapest way to get a liner/alternate material.. local homedept/lowes,
ect., or online? (I imagine shipng costs hurt the online idea)

My experience FWIW.

My local home depot sells the stuff for a very high price. When I bought
last year (without the benefit of this news group) I finally ordered from:

http://www.justliners.com

I found that, even with shipping (somewhere in Oklahoma to San Diego) it was
the least expensive I could find. Others on this list have used the
(maybe-probably-the same ) roofing stuff. I wasn't taking a chance at the
time, because ya hate to put your liner down, cover it with rocks and then
find out it isn't fish safe. That's just me.

Joe

Old 28-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Gareee©

"joe" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:

So cheapest way to get a liner/alternate material.. local

homedept/lowes,
ect., or online? (I imagine shipng costs hurt the online idea)

My experience FWIW.

My local home depot sells the stuff for a very high price. When I bought
last year (without the benefit of this news group) I finally ordered from:

http://www.justliners.com

I found that, even with shipping (somewhere in Oklahoma to San Diego) it

was
the least expensive I could find. Others on this list have used the
(maybe-probably-the same ) roofing stuff. I wasn't taking a chance at the
time, because ya hate to put your liner down, cover it with rocks and then
find out it isn't fish safe. That's just me.

Joe

I'll not be adding fish.. too much bother. Locally we've seen a black snake,
crayfish, turtles, chipmunks, and salamanders, and that's plenty of wild
life for me! LOL!!

Been there done that on the liner/rock thing, but with a hole in the liner..
I have pretty rocky ground, so I'll be having to put down a good layer of
sand.

I'll check out that website though...

Thanks for the reply! Any other opinions??

Old 28-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Michael Shaffer

By the way, I'd get the Firestone EPDM it's very strong. I've walked all
over it, dropped 200 lb rocks on it. It's basically the same material as
a bike tire only thicker. Very strong..

Old 28-06-2003, 02:20 AM
John Rutz

Been there done that on the liner/rock thing, but with a hole in the liner..
I have pretty rocky ground, so I'll be having to put down a good layer of
sand.

I'll check out that website though...

Thanks for the reply! Any other opinions??

yup check out

http://www.kencofish.com/

-- for permalon liners

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 28-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Heather

The day I decided to build a pond I called up DH who works for Firestone
Textiles. Asked him to see if we could order some Firestone EPDM in. He
called back a short time later to inform me that the factory was currently
being re-roofed. We got all the rubber roofing (used) we wanted for.....
you guessed it --- free. We had a friend pick it up on a large truck. I
power washed both sides checking for holes etc. The main chunk we put in
the pond had a 1" slice but was easily patched with the roofing cement and
another piece of liner. We do have fish and snails and tadpoles and frogs
and other assorted pond critters. They seem to like it fine. And as
Michael said the stuff is so strong. One day I was trying to trim off a
piece and took a pointed shovel and stood on it hoping to cut it? Didn't
even dent it. The downside is that it is so thick that it does not fold and
flatten easily so there are places where the liner sticks out. I placed the
folds away from the expected water flow. Maybe with time they will fold
against the sides.

You might try driving around looking for a roofer doing a job on a flat roof
and ask if you can help him out by disposing of some of the used rubber for
him... Worth a try and the price is certainly right.

Heather

Old 28-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Gareee©

Might be worth looking into...

I know they also carry that roofing material at Home depot or lowes...

Old 28-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Gareee©

"joe" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:

the least expensive I could find. Others on this list have used the
(maybe-probably-the same ) roofing stuff. I wasn't taking a chance at

the
time, because ya hate to put your liner down, cover it with rocks and

then
find out it isn't fish safe. That's just me.

Joe

I'll not be adding fish.. too much bother.

Famous last words

This will be our third pond now, and still no fishy desires.. the frogs,
lightening bugs, crawdads, salamanders no such will be JUST fine for no care
additional pets...

Koi always just look like carp to me...

Old 28-06-2003, 10:20 PM
K30a

I have one fishless pond and I love it.
We fixed up a dowel with a cup and dip into
the pond and find the neatest critters!
Also good for checking for mosquito larva.
The Mosquito Bits are working really well.

k30a
Old 30-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Gary Rich

Gareee© wrote:
Might be worth looking into...

I know they also carry that roofing material at Home depot or lowes...

Depends. Nobody in the hotter drier parts of the country uses this as a
roofing material - so you won't find it at the big box stores. I assume
you can get it from dedicated roofing supply companies, but it's fairly
rare.

garyr

Old 30-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Thank you! This answers why no local roofing company knew what I was
talking about. Gave up and got EPDM, then Permalon.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, Respect for others and
Responsibility for all your actions." -Dalai Lama