Old 28-06-2003, 01:32 PM
MLF

Default Pond Shade - encore

My pond is in partial shade. I have tried different plants, some do alright,
some don't.

Can anyone suggest pond plants that do well in less than full sun?

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 28-06-2003, 05:32 PM
jammer

water lillies, taro, creeping jenny, water celery, primrose, water
hyacinth, azolla, parrot feather.......they are all in my partly sunny
pond and doing real well.

================================================= ============

Old 28-06-2003, 05:44 PM
K30a

Shade tolerant marginals

* acorus graimineus Ogon

* any aquatic grass

* Bowles Golden Sedge

* any clover

* dwarf bamboo

* Flamingo (variegated Water Parsley)

* horsetail rush

* Japanese Ribbon Grass

* Parrot Feather

* Pennywort

* spike rush

* any Taro

* Water Parsley (green)

Flowering shade Tolerant Marginals

* Bog Lily

* Chameleon Plant

* Creeping Buttercup

* creeping jenny

* creeping jenny gold

* Japanese Bog Orchid

* Ligularia 'Othello'

* Lobelia- Cardinal Flower

* Marsh Marigold

* mazus reptans

* Primula (Candleabra) japonica

* Spider Lily

(compiled by Patrica Sample)
k30a
Old 28-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Heather

K30a:

How do lotus and water lily compare in light requirements? I have lily that
does okay in about semi shade. Would like lotus...

Heather

PS thanks for the great lists.

Old 28-06-2003, 07:56 PM
K30a

Sigh Heather.........................
You are talking to a lotus killer.
I killed mine with a nasty October freeze. It was in a container on the deck to
get lots of sunshine.
I do know they like to be fed a lot and they like lots of sunshine.
Nedra has good luck with them!
k30a

Old 28-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Nedra

Ahh ... my most favorite flower ... the Lotus! Kathy
you are right - I do have good luck with the plant.
I suppose that having enough light is key. I flood
the lotus pond with fish pond water. The first summer
I had 4 lotuses in whiskey barrels and fed them with water
from the fish pond. I think I also fertilized them with the
fertilizer tabs. The lotus pond gets fed once in the spring ...
then it is nothing but fish pond water.
I live south of St. Louis Missouri -
so there is heat and humidity!

You can see my lotus pond in the website below.

Nedra

"K30a" wrote in message
Sigh Heather.........................
You are talking to a lotus killer.
I killed mine with a nasty October freeze. It was in a container on the

deck to
get lots of sunshine.
I do know they like to be fed a lot and they like lots of sunshine.
Nedra has good luck with them!
k30a

MOONLIGHT - pilot encore 12/21 Mac Breck Ponds 0 25-12-2007 06:53 PM
Le Ventoux (encore!) dv Ponds 0 24-09-2007 07:04 AM
ENCORE George Hof Roses 2 07-02-2007 01:26 AM
Encore Azaleas and Reblooming Iris junkyardcat Gardening 3 25-03-2005 04:07 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM