Old 01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
jel

Default newbie help - new 50 gal pond

I bought a pre-formed 50 gal pond. I know nothing about ponds. Is there a
good website with all the basics? I want fish, plants, good placement in my
small yard.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"jel" wrote in message
I bought a pre-formed 50 gal pond. I know nothing about ponds. Is there

good website with all the basics? I want fish, plants, good placement in

my
small yard.

Some suggestions...

....lurk here for awhile
....search google groups for archives of this group
....get just about any book by Helen Nash

Some comments...
....50 gallons will not be suitable for Koi, but you may be able to keep
minnows or Goldfish
....location is very subjective...you want some sun and some shade; pick a
place that you will enjoy being in when viewing your pond, look at your pond
from all angles to be sure you won't have any ugly views
....if you have fish you will need filtration, your plants may be enough,
maybe not
....your zone is important, zone will determine what you can have safely in
your pond.

BV.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:44 PM
K30a

In 50 gallons start with two goldfish.
Or 10 rosie red minnows.
Too many fish is usually the cause of pea
soup green water.
Plants and shade also help.
Feed the fish sparingly.
welcome to rec.ponds :-)

k30a
Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Hank Pagel

If you think your yard is small now ........ wait till the second
BIGGER pond goes in. You can find just about anything you need in the
archives of this group or just ask. I'm some-what of a newbie myself
(about 3 or 4 years) but there is a lot of experience in this
newsgroup.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
jammer

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:47:00 -0400, "jel"
wrote:

I bought a pre-formed 50 gal pond. I know nothing about ponds. Is there a
good website with all the basics? I want fish, plants, good placement in my
small yard.

Hi and welcome. You have come to the right place. I learned everything
i know here. I have a small preformed that i hope is 60-70 gallons. I
plan on getting rid of all the baby goldfish and just keeping the two
i started out with. And eventhough i just put this in less than a year
ago, i am already dreaming of expanding. It is too small!!!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/jammer1959

Picture of favorite fish added and a june2003 pic that isn't great,
but shows the growth of the plants in the last month.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:44 PM
John Rutz

"jel" wrote in message
I bought a pre-formed 50 gal pond. I know nothing about ponds. Is
there a
good website with all the basics? I want fish, plants, good placement
in my
small yard.

you might try reading this

http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

and always feel free to ast the group any questions we are happy to answer
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com