Old 06-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Timothy Tom

Default why did my koi die?

We have a 120 gallon outdoor pond which had 3 5" koi and a 6" catfish
in it for the past 2 years. The pond had an auto-refill system
straight from tap water which was recently inadvertently turned off.
After finding this, I turned the autorefill back on slowly. I figured
maybe 25 gallons at most had evaporated before we noticed the problem.
To make a long story short, all the fish died within 24 hrs, and I
figured it was from too much chlorine shock. I took this opportunity
to totally clean the pond, and cleaned out a 1" layer of sludge on the
bottom of the pond, and I also decided to get rid of about 70 lbs of
small river rock on the bottom. I refilled the pond with tap water,
and ran the pond for a week with pumps going. I readded 2 koi, and a
goldfish which all died within 2 hours. I must have done something
very wrong for them to die so fast. What killed these fish? Should I
wait longer than 1 week prior to adding fish? I do have about 60 lbs
of large rocks in the pond, should I also add back some small rocks to
help reestablish biological filtration?
Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 AM
K30a

120 gallons is tricky.
The bigger the pond the more forgiving the system.
What do you know about the water you are putting in? Chloramines stick around
much longer than chlorine.
Do you have any plants?
Get a pond test kit and post your readings here for the experts (meaning not
moi ;-)
Also, just go with goldfish. And keep your stocking low. 20 gallons per fish.
Current wisdom is koi need at least 1,000 gallons just to start with.

good luck!
k30a
Old 06-07-2003, 04:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Tim,

Do you have any water quality test kits?

Though you are probaby right the chlorine (or chloramines) did the first
fish in, 120 gallon pond with that much rock in it probably has less than
120 gallons of water in it. Unless you mean with the rock you metered in
the water knowing that it did indeed 120 gallons? If not you may have added
25% or more new water. Had this pond ever had a water change out? Where you
took old water out and added new in?

Regarding the new fish, what was the pH at the store of purchase and the pH
in your pond. Temperature difference, theirs, yours? How long were they in
the bag before you got them home?

Tests to have on hand:
Ammonia
Nitrites
pH
Kh
A thermometer

And perhaps in your case something to measure chlorine so you know how much
dechlor to add? Do you know if your city treats the water with only
chlorine or does it use the more deadly form of chloramines? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM

If you didnt test for chloramines, it could have been that.
however, did you test for temperature?
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...htm#quarantine for pond fish
as you are replacing all the fish, and your pond is small you can use it for
quarantine, but I would suggest GF only as this is too small a pond for koi. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Nedra

Tim, Did you treat the water you added? I mean did
you add AmQuel or one of the other water treatments?

I agree that you don't have a big enough pond for Koi.
I started out with the 120 gallon size and bought FOUR
koi! Omg! They were 4 inches long ... by October
I had a 3,000 gallon pond built. I really felt sorry for the big little
guys!

Good Luck ...

Nedra in Missouri

wrote in message
If you didnt test for chloramines, it could have been that.
however, did you test for temperature?
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...htm#quarantine for

pond fish
as you are replacing all the fish, and your pond is small you can use it

for
quarantine, but I would suggest GF only as this is too small a pond for

koi. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Why would my flowering currant suddenly die? Lisa[_3_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2008 04:53 PM
OT Who is/was Grimm, why did he build so many dykes, and why? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 02-05-2005 06:44 PM
did my oak tree die? info Gardening 2 17-04-2003 06:20 PM
Did my oak tree die? xandie100 Gardening 0 17-04-2003 09:20 AM
Why Men die younger? [email protected] Ponds 2 17-03-2003 04:32 PM