Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why would my flowering currant suddenly die?

I have a flowering currant bush which was a cutting from my mother in
law's plant. I've had it about 5 years or so and it is around 4 ft
tall now, and was growing well. Late last summer I noticed the leaves
on a small branch looked a bit shrivelled but the rest of the bush was
fine, or seemed so.

This spring it hasn't done anything at all. It has what looks like
buds all over but they are brown, not green. No sign of any flowers.
The stems are not totally dry and brown inside. It still seems to have
a bit of sap.

I did wonder if my neighbour had used a weedkiller which might have
got into my soil under the fence, but other plants nearby look OK, so
I don't "think" it's that (I can't ask them because they will get all
snotty and paranoid if I do)

Anyone any ideas as to whay might kill a healthy flowering currant
bush? Is it worth leaving it in the ground in case it rallies round?

I live in Hampshire, and my soil is clay.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Lisa writes:

| Anyone any ideas as to whay might kill a healthy flowering currant
| bush? Is it worth leaving it in the ground in case it rallies round?
|
| I live in Hampshire, and my soil is clay.

Some indeterminate root-rot, probably fungal. Last year was horribly
cold and wet, and your soil drains badly. If that is so, it's dead
and won't reshoot from the base, but I would give it a month before
digging it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Some indeterminate root-rot, probably fungal. *Last year was horribly
cold and wet, and your soil drains badly. *If that is so, it's dead
and won't reshoot from the base, but I would give it a month before
digging it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick. I lost two clematis last year from some kind of root rot,
which I put down to all the rain, so I guess it's the same with the
currant. i'll give it a few weeks as you suggested, just in case
drying out helps it rally.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Lisa writes
[...]

The continuous wet weather last May, June and July killed off a
flowering current in my garden.

Thanks.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-05-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,

The continuous wet weather last May, June and July killed off a flowering
current in my garden.

A son's back garden was under water several times last year, the fc in that
garden suddenly died this year.

The front garden is considerably higher so drains well. The fc in that
garden lives yet.

Looks as though there's a common link ...

Mary