Old 07-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Judy

Default Sad Weekend

My husband and I took a weeks vacation we have not had for three
years. We came home today and to my surprise, my four year old Koi
(four of them) were all missing from our pond. In addition I also had
another pond with veil tail shubukins, they were also gone. We found
on the top of our boat cover a large amount of bird droppings, we feel
a large bird got our fish. We raised these fish from small two inch
Koi. I've read many post from people having there pet fish taken by
large birds. How do you get over this. After raising them this long
and watching them grow and knowing when you go out to visit them they
will greet you and allow you to touch them. What a way to come back
from vacation. I do blame myself as I feel I'm a novice at this and
should of realized that some day a large bird will discover a new food
source. We plan to enlarge the pond and build a netted structure to
avoid this from happening again. We enjoy our fish and won't give up.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

So sorry to read what happened to you! Really really sorry about it. Best
you can do is start over again with the precautions you mentioned! There is
an egret that is hell bent on taking my fish too!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

om...

Old 07-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Doug

I am very sorry about your Koi !!!!!!!

I hope the new ones bring you some joy and comfort.

Doug

om...

Old 07-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Judy wrote:
[...]

So sorry.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 07-07-2003, 02:32 PM
NJ

What a disappointing homecoming! I have lost fish and plants to raccoons,
so I can sympathize. Good luck!

NJ
om...

Old 07-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Wilson

Judy wrote in message
om...
[...]

If you think you feel bad about a bird snatching your fish...think how bad
your Koi felt about it.

~Wilson~

Old 07-07-2003, 07:34 PM
John Rutz

what a sad end to a good weekend I feel for you

Judy wrote:
[...]

Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Don

I had a heron visit last Memorial Day. You try to think of everything and
do a good job where it counts, water quality, filtration, and so on. This
is something you don't expect or plan for. I have a dog that would have
scared the heron away but I didn't let her out because of mud. I took her
on walks instead. If only I let her out...

But, you did your part. You weren't careless or negligent. Like much in
life, we can't plan for everything.

Fortunately, I live in the suburbs and it was just too busy for the heron to
stay more than a couple of days. You might want to invest in one of the
motion activate sprinklers. Or get a big dog like me

om...

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
K30a

You do get attached to their little finny
selves. Good luck and let me know if you want the heron suggestions posted (for
all wading birds).

k30a
Old 08-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Greg Cooper

Sorry for your loss. One really does develop a caring for the fin'ed
fellows.
You may want to try a motion activated sprinkler called a "Water Scare Crow"
http://www.pestproducts.com/scarecrow.htm