Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Lynn Strickland

Default Bottom Drain w/Skimmer

Now that the NG has convinced me that it's wise to have a bottom drain
[thanks all!] . . . .

I'm thinking of using the Biofalls (skimmer and the waterfall part). The
pump sits inside the skimmer. Question is, where does the outlet of the
bottom drain go?

Is the drain under suction all the time (e.g. plumbed into the pump or
skimmer somehow), or do I just use it to suck the gunk out every few months?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
joe

Lynn Strickland wrote:

Now that the NG has convinced me that it's wise to have a bottom drain
[thanks all!] . . . .

I'm thinking of using the Biofalls (skimmer and the waterfall part). The
pump sits inside the skimmer. Question is, where does the outlet of the
bottom drain go?

Is the drain under suction all the time (e.g. plumbed into the pump or
skimmer somehow), or do I just use it to suck the gunk out every few months?

Lynn,

I have a Purifalls system and the drain connects into the side of the
skimmer box. Here's the link, it describes how it works better than I can,
but basically water flows up through the bottom drain and into the skimmer
because two connected bodies of water ( the inside of the skimmer and the
pond) want to be at the same level so water gets sucked up into the skimmer.

http://www.purifalls.com/

I'm not familiar with biofalls specifically, but maybe they have the same
thing.

Joe

Old 08-07-2003, 02:44 AM
RichToyBox

I have the Pond Sweep skimmer, and they show putting it through the side of
the skimmer and through the liner off to the side of the skimmer. I decided
to use one bulkhead fitting and have it go straight through the front of the
skimmer below the skimmer door and above the frame that holds the filter
mat. The liner is silicone sealed to the skimmer and the one hole has one
fitting. Works great. Picture on request.
--
RichToyBox

rthlink.net...