Old 24-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Mickey

Default How important is a bottom drain with a skimmer.

This year is the experimental year for the 3000gallon pond plumbing since it
is the first year. I am thinking of just running the OASE skimmer and
removing the aftermarket bottom drain. I live in Zone 4 and the pond will be
drained yearly do to freezing. Is this a bad idea? I have a 3800 GPH
Sequence pump and it sucks aloot of stuff off the top when it is used by
itself.

Old 24-07-2003, 01:13 AM
RichToyBox

The skimmer will collect most of the material before it has a chance to go
to the bottom, but some still settles and the bottom drain makes cleaning
the bottom of the pond much easier, since it is doing it all day and all
night.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Nedra

Mickey, I have an approx. 3,000 gallon pond (zone 6) ...
alot of our northern ponders just use a couple of airstones
placed about 6 inches below the surface of the water to
keep a hole open in the ice. The airstones provide aeration
and degate the use of pumps - just thru the winter of course.
I also have a De-Icer that I use when the horrid
winter winds kick in. Pond is on the north side of the house
and gets no sun at all in the wintertime.
You may want to think about just shutting down the filtration
and pumps and go to airpump/airstone for the winter.

Nedra

Old 24-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Mickey

It might work I know airation is used on some lakes around here. I also know
the Ice gets 18" thick where I live. Zone 6 is that Missouri weather? I grew
up down there. If it is the ponds freezing there is nothing like it is here
we drive cars on the lakes here.
rthlink.net...

Old 24-07-2003, 03:23 AM
Nedra

Mickey,
Zone 6 cuts right across the state ... approximately. So, it depends on
where you lived in Missouri? ;-) My brother used to live in
northern Michigan ... they used to go ice fishing - I know what
your talking about. lol Too cold for me!

Nedra

"Mickey" wrote in message
It might work I know airation is used on some lakes around here. I also

know
the Ice gets 18" thick where I live. Zone 6 is that Missouri weather? I

grew
up down there. If it is the ponds freezing there is nothing like it is

here
we drive cars on the lakes here.
rthlink.net...

Old 24-07-2003, 03:43 AM
johnrutz

Nedra wrote:
Mickey, I have an approx. 3,000 gallon pond (zone 6) ...
alot of our northern ponders just use a couple of airstones
placed about 6 inches below the surface of the water to
keep a hole open in the ice. The airstones provide aeration
and degate the use of pumps - just thru the winter of course.
I also have a De-Icer that I use when the horrid
winter winds kick in. Pond is on the north side of the house
and gets no sun at all in the wintertime.
You may want to think about just shutting down the filtration
and pumps and go to airpump/airstone for the winter.

Nedra

and I just shut down pumps when ice starts forming on the pond
( 8000)galons )
i dont use an air stone as the N side of the pond is next to a concrete
patio and there is a 2'x25' area of liner facing the sun which heats up
enough to keep a hole open along that side

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 24-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Mickey

Way south Theodosia it is on Bull Shoals Lake.
rthlink.net...

"Mickey" wrote in message
It might work I know airation is used on some lakes around here. I also

know
the Ice gets 18" thick where I live. Zone 6 is that Missouri weather? I

grew
up down there. If it is the ponds freezing there is nothing like it is

here
we drive cars on the lakes here.
rthlink.net...

Old 24-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Nedra

Ohhh ... you were waay South. Lots of good fishin' around
there!

Nedra

"Mickey" wrote in message
It might work I know airation is used on some lakes around here. I

also
know
the Ice gets 18" thick where I live. Zone 6 is that Missouri weather?

grew
up down there. If it is the ponds freezing there is nothing like it is

here
we drive cars on the lakes here.
rthlink.net...

Old 24-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Nedra

Ahhh .. the sun saves your pond from icing over then.
Glad you don't have to deal with that.

Nedra