Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Superkitt

Default Where to place my koi

Heres a bit of a sad story which I hope will reverse its self come
summer.

I started to build a small 150gal pond which would be deep enough to
keep fish over the winter.
I desided to run the pond in 2002 without fish with a waterfall as a
trial run over the summer and winter, to see if I could keep a hole in
the ice.

Well, we have had one of the coldest winters on record (as low as -35,C
- Ontario Canada) and I was unable to keep a hole open.
I did buy 2 koi in the fall of 2002 that were 2.5inchs in size which
have been in my fish tank indoors which I had planed on moving to the
pong this spring 2003, my problem now is I sold my house, I have to fill
the pond in and start over when I move in late June 2003.
In the mean time, the koi are growing in the fish tank, now 6.5 inches
in length.
I'm not really sure they will last until Aug 2003 for me to build a pond
for them.

Can I buy a cheap childs swimming pool and place them in it until the
pond is built?
at the rate they are growing, I'm not sure If I will have to do the
swimming pool before I move or after, but need to know if it will be
alright.
I'll setup a temporary water feature to keep the water moving, and place
something over the pool to give them shelter and a place to hide.

I'm not even sure how I'm going to transport the fish when I move, will
have to start looking for something large enough to place them in.

Joel

Old 04-03-2003, 01:40 AM
jammer

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:26:31 GMT, Superkitt
wrote:

I'm not even sure how I'm going to transport the fish when I move, will
have to start looking for something large enough to place them in.

http://www.akca.org/library/transp.htm
You may (or may not) find this helpfull. Good luck.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´

Old 05-03-2003, 07:33 AM

http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...tm#MOVING_FISH

your koi are small. get a heavy duty plastic bag from the fish store near you, put
one koi per bag. follow the directions above. yes, any kiddy pool that isnt vinyl
is fine. you MUST net the pond. I use bird netting with the wide elastic I get from
material store. I make sure the netting is down far enough and just slip the tied
elastic over the netting so it is tight. the netting should be taut. a100 gallon
rubbermaid would be a much better idea. deeper water, cooler and less chance of
predators. Ingrid