Old 18-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Gregory Young

Default mosquito spraying and ponds

I can hear the banjos now! (deliverance comes to mind), but I think of
country with deliverance, with few houses to be found..
Greg

--

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I have lived in a county that is adjacent to St. Louis County
yet is light years away. The "Deliverance" take is perfect for
my county. I've lived here for almost 50 years and wouldn't
change a thing about it. We are surrounded by yuppie
"Villa" types. Four story houses that are 6 feet apart... LOL!
We have no controls at all .... None!
We were inundated by all the folk who came to shoot
fireworks! But you know, I would not trade where I live
for their highly regulated lives for the world!
Mosquito Control?
I'm surprised I even know how to spell it ;-)

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
My pond - while at the front of the house (closest to the street) is

behind
a 7' block privacy wall and screened in. Hopefully, that will keep the
droplets out. We're not on a schedule for spraying: when they come, they
come - no warning. Whereas I live in a subdivision, the area used to be
quite rural: up until about 3 years ago, it was a joke, a "- I'll think

I'll
go sit on the porch, pluck my banjo and pick my tooth" kind of place

GBG
Think "Deliverance". Then Tampa had to expand somewhere, and East and

South
was already taken, so everyone started moving North. Mosquito Control

will
catch up in 5 or 10 years, I guess.

Lee

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
First off, the bacteria is actually Bacillus thuringiensis.. sorry

about
that. I was in a bit of a hurry, and upset.. a deer and my car had an
encounter yesterday, (last one was back about 1984, so I guess I have

been
lucky) so my typing was sloppy.
Malathion is, as I believe Ingrid said, very toxic. It is a

cholinergic
poison, not very dissimilar from what you would know as a "nerve

agent".
It is toxic to all animal life, only the LD 50 (lethal dose) varies

from
one
species to another.
I would not rely on charcoal, as Malathion will be absorbed by your

fish
most likely well in advance of making a pass into a filter system!
Best advice is to cover your pond with a plastic, nonpermeable tarp

(the
common blue plastic one works fine) on the day they spray.
You are looking for a tarp that can cover the surface, to catch

falling
droplets/aerosols, so just have a couple of feet overlapping you pond

on
all
sides and you will do fine.
I would float some tires, etc to keep the tarp off the water surface,

esp.
if it's on during the day, to allow air exchange.
Be careful when you remove it, so that any droplets won't roll off

into
the
pond.
You could of course ask them to "skip" you, but I wouldn't chance that

the
message you leave gets through to the individual doing the spraying,

so
play
it safe and cover your pond..
I don't understand why quite a few of the local health departments are

still
using Malathion. The larvicides work great, and are safe. Malathion is

of
course cheaper, so that may be a factor... Fortunately our county
commissioners have agreed with our recommendations to stick with

larvicides,
(even though we have a significant amount of WNV isolated from dead

crows
in
our region).
Happy ponding,
Greg
--

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
I just called my local Mosquito Control folks: they said that they

use
the
bacillus thurensis directly in water, but spray malathion from the

trucks
at
night that cruise the streets. She said the amount they use won't

hurt
the
fish, and I understand that *certain* amounts of malathion can be

used
in
the pond for various critter control. I also ususally keep several

pounds
of
activated charcoal in my waterfall setup as a "just in case" first

line
of
defense against toxins. In your opinion, is this sufficient?

Lee

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
You need to check with your locals about what they are spraying

with.
Many localities are spraying with Bacillus thurensis, which is

harmless
plants and animals, save of course mosquito larvae.
Happy ponding,
Greg

wrote in message
ganews.com...
With the hysteria over West Nile virus, localities are spraying

kill
mosquitos. How does this spraying affect ponds, if at all?

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail.

****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 18-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Gregory Young

Thanks Bonnie:
I drive a Crown Victoria, which gives a lot of front end room for damage,
sparing the driver. No problems on my end.. thanks for asking.
Interesting also that the air bags didn't deploy. I think it was because
although it was a front impact the deer must have been airborne, and hit the
grill above the bumper, so the impact did not trigger the air bag sensor.
When those deploy you're talking $1500 a piece just to replace them (minus
the labor).
Metal can always be fixed, it's just the hassle factor..
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Gregory Young wrote:
I was in a bit of a hurry, and upset.. a deer and my car
had an
encounter yesterday, (last one was back about 1984, so I guess I have

been
lucky) so my typing was sloppy.

Happy ponding,
Greg

Hope you're well and the cars recovery will be quick.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Nedra

Yep, Greg ... that is exactly where I moved to ... 'country
deliverance' ... gosh, It was wonderful back in the days
before they cut down all the oak trees that covered the
hills and built all these dang Villas.
That is why my backyard is greened in. No one can see me - 'course I can't
see anyone either - which suits me just fine.

Nedra

Old 21-07-2003, 08:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hmmmm, I guess I'll have to respectfully disagree after using Malathion LD
50 (per Dr.J's instructions in his book) for the removal of flukes in my
pond. Unless they're gonna rain droplets over the pond, I'd say the fish
are safe and the carbon would remove it after one pass.

Sorry to hear about the deer & car meeting, I doubt I could have even typed
anything close to legible after such an event. ~ jan

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:36:11 GMT, "Gregory Young" wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 21-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Lee Brouillet

I *thought* it (Malathion) could be used in small, controlled doses. So far,
the fish have not shown any signs of distress, and they've been exposed to
the spray for 3 years now. It's only been this spring that I added the
activated charcoal, so that should be "icing", so to speak. I hope.

Lee

Old 21-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Fool Speck

"Gregory Young" wrote in message t...

Malathion is, as I believe Ingrid said, very toxic. It is a cholinergic
poison, not very dissimilar from what you would know as a "nerve agent".
It is toxic to all animal life, only the LD 50 (lethal dose) varies from one
species to another.

Many years ago during the medfly invasion in California, the public
was very upset about the idea of aerial spraying of malathion. B.T.
Collins, Director of California Conversation Corps, insisted it was
safe. To prove his point, on July 11, 1981 he presented a glass of
malathion diluted to working strength and in front of the media, he
DRANK IT! He said it tasted pretty bad, but otherwise he felt fine.
It was that demonstration that silenced the public outcry, and
spraying resumed with very little public resistance.

Steve Lowther

Old 21-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Fool Speck

"Gregory Young" wrote in message t...
Thanks Bonnie:
I drive a Crown Victoria, which gives a lot of front end room for damage,
sparing the driver. No problems on my end.. thanks for asking.
Interesting also that the air bags didn't deploy. I think it was because
although it was a front impact the deer must have been airborne, and hit the
grill above the bumper, so the impact did not trigger the air bag sensor.
When those deploy you're talking $1500 a piece just to replace them (minus
the labor).
Metal can always be fixed, it's just the hassle factor..
Happy ponding,
Greg

The reason your air bag didn't deploy is because are bags are
triggered by inertial sensors. The deer would have had to seriously
impede the forward momentum of your Crown Vic before it would have
imployed the air bag.

There are several failsafe features designed into the system. There
are firing sensors, which are on the positive side of the circuit, and
safing sensors, which are on the ground side of the circuit. You must
trip one safing sensor and one firing sensor to complete the circuit
and deploy the air bags.

Usually there are three firing sensors. One on each corner and a
center sensor located above the radiator. This is a combination sensor
that has a firing sensor and a safing sensor. There is also another
safing sensor located in the center of the firewall, just below the
cowl.

The sensors consist of a cup shaped magnet that holds a gold-plated
ball. In front of the ball are gold-plated contacts. In an impact,
inertia pulls the ball out of the cup and into the contacts. This
closes the circuit to either the ground side, or the hot side of the
air bag firing circuit. This is why you must trip two sensors, one
safing and one firing, at the same time.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia....

Steve Lowther

Old 21-07-2003, 10:13 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

To give you an idea of the treatment, for a 50 gallon sick tank we were
using 2 drops, harder water can need up to 3-5 drops. So it is small &
controlled! For 1,500 gallons I think we were using less than 1/2 a
teaspoon. We measured it out in mliters, actually I made the chemist
measure it out. I added it with a hose end sprayer into the 50 gallon pump
chamber that feeds the water fall, so it was well diluted before it hit the
ponds. The plus is, it's cheap, it's easy to purchase, and doesn't set the
filter back. ~ jan

On 21 Jul 2003 08:42:15 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

I *thought* it (Malathion) could be used in small, controlled doses. So far,
the fish have not shown any signs of distress, and they've been exposed to
the spray for 3 years now. It's only been this spring that I added the
activated charcoal, so that should be "icing", so to speak. I hope.

Lee

.. .

Old 22-07-2003, 03:55 AM
Gregory Young

Neat Steve!
Thanks for teaching me about the firing mechanism of air bags.. it's a;ways
a good day when you learn something new!
Got the estimate today.. insurance says it's $4200 of damage.
My guess is the radiator sensor may have gone off, but neither of the
others. (as it was crushed.. the condenser was smashed, etc).
Happy ponding,
Greg

om...

Old 22-07-2003, 05:22 PM

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:17:29 GMT

a similar type of display was performed with DDT. of course we now know the
consequences of DDT in fat and the food chain. Ingrid

(Fool Speck) wrote:
Many years ago during the medfly invasion in California, the public
was very upset about the idea of aerial spraying of malathion. B.T.
Collins, Director of California Conversation Corps, insisted it was
safe. To prove his point, on July 11, 1981 he presented a glass of
malathion diluted to working strength and in front of the media, he
DRANK IT! He said it tasted pretty bad, but otherwise he felt fine.
It was that demonstration that silenced the public outcry, and
spraying resumed with very little public resistance.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 20-07-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lee Hirt

wrote:

.. sorry about
that. I was in a bit of a hurry, and upset.. a deer and my car had an
encounter yesterday, (last one was back about 1984, so I guess I have been
lucky)

What animal kills more humans that any other in the U.S.? Yep, the
deer. Yes, you were lucky thankfully.

Mosquito spraying Victor M. Martinez Texas 1 13-09-2003 02:32 PM
Mosquito spraying Victor M. Martinez Texas 9 11-09-2003 11:18 PM
Mosquito Spraying Rusty Mase Texas 7 26-07-2003 03:02 PM
mosquito spraying and ponds [email protected] Ponds 2 17-07-2003 01:30 AM
mosquito spraying and ponds [email protected] Ponds 0 17-07-2003 12:57 AM