Old 05-03-2003, 05:28 PM
The David Clowder

Default White plants HELP!

I figured it was close enough to spring (southwestern Arizona, zone 10-11) to dress
up my little pond a bit and maybe avoid some of the dread algae bloom, so I bought
some water lettuce, hyacinth, mint, and duckweed from a company I've dealt with in
the past. The plants arrived within 48 hours of shipping (the company is only 130
miles away) and appeared healthy. I plonked it all in the pond and things were good
for about two days.

Day three and I went out to a pond that looked like it was covered with ash. All the
duckweed is snow white. The edges of the water lettuce are withering. The hyacinth
is still greening nicely though and the mint is unbothered.

My test kit shows all my values are within normal limits. My GF, minnows, and
turtles are all fine. Temperatures haven't sunk below the 40s at night and my pond
temp is warm enough that the fish are frisky and the turtles active. I don't see any
sign of aphids, etc, though I haven't used a magnifying glass.

Any ideas?

Gabrielle, heading out to remove all the duckweed

Old 05-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Jerrispond

Could they have gotten sun burned?
Maybe they were raised in a greenhouse.

That is exactly what I was going to say Kathy....my duckweed and azolla does
the exact same thing when first brought outside to the ponds. It will recover,
but I would try and shade it a little for awhile if possible......Jerri

Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 AM
The David Clowder

"The David Clowder" wrote in message
I figured it was close enough to spring (southwestern Arizona, zone 10-11) to dress up my little pond a bit and maybe avoid some of the dread algae bloom, so I bought some water lettuce, hyacinth, mint, and duckweed from a company I've dealt with in the

past. snip

Day three and I went out to a pond that looked like it was covered with ash. All the duckweed is snow white. snip

Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Please bear with my sense of humor.

Being that I live in MD...I would say the white stuff is snow.

BV.

Ummm. . . snow? I've heard about it . . . thought maybe it was just a fantasy.

Gabrielle, with a high of 73F and low of 45F this past week

Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 AM
The David Clowder

K30 wrote:
Could they have gotten sun burned?
Maybe they were raised in a greenhouse.

That is exactly what I was going to say Kathy....my duckweed and azolla does
the exact same thing when first brought outside to the ponds. It will recover,
but I would try and shade it a little for awhile if possible......Jerri

Good point -- I don't know the answer.It's been cloudy for us lately, though, so the
plants weren't getting a whole lot of sun. And I never took my summer shade cloth
awning down over the pond. Maybe just a little was too much? I'll leave some of it
in for a while and see what happens.
-- Gabrielle

Old 06-03-2003, 06:28 AM
~ jan

Many times when my iris first start to grow they'll be white. I found out
this is because at cold temps the plants can't take the needed nutrients.
As the temps warm up they do recover and turn green. ~ jan

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:20:50 -0700, The David Clowder
wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 06-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Sue Walsh

Ummm. . . snow? I've heard about it . . . thought maybe it was just a fantasy.

Gabrielle, with a high of 73F and low of 45F this past week

I'll raise you, with a high of 81 and a low of 59 this past week (central FL)

Sue
Old 14-03-2003, 04:56 PM
The David Clowder

Ummm. . . snow? I've heard about it . . . thought maybe it was just a fantasy.

Gabrielle, with a high of 73F and low of 45F this past week

I'll raise you, with a high of 81 and a low of 59 this past week (central FL)

Sue

Okay, you win for now . . . but wait for July!

Gabrielle