Old 22-07-2003, 03:55 AM
john rutz

Default How Much Maintenance?

BenignVanilla wrote:
When I went at my pond design, I purposely included concepts like a bottom
drain and a shallow VF to reduce my maintenance. I have A LOT of plants, and
do not intend to feed my fish, in the hopes that I can strike a balance of
plants and animals. So far, my first season, things are going well.

I often read in this group of people adding potash, salt, baking soda,
fertilizer tabs, etc. They test the water every 10 minutes, change water, do
this, do that.

I realize this is not a pass/fail, yes/no answer but how much is really
necessary? I think if my pond ever gets to the point where I must spend time
every day maintaining it, and not just sitting by it...I may fill it in.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

-- BV
Ill give you my personal take on that question

if you notice the ponds that require so much are the smaller ones with
med - hi fish loads they tend to go wonkers if one thing or another
gets out of sync and the big problem is they tend to change fast like
morning to nite

bigger ponds w low - med fish loads stay relativly ballanced changes
are slower to take effect takes days or if pond is big enough weeks
and tend to correct themselves befor things get critical

water changes are needed to dilute the amonia nitrite nitrate and to
keep mineral buildup down fer instance I have naturaly salty water
..01% w hi calcium
if I only added evaporative loss - over time both salt and calcium
would go up and i would go from realy hard water to OmG thats hard
salt water

the down side is those of us with bigger ponds tend to not do tests real
often ( i only test in the spring as the bio bugs are still dormant )
once they get going its prety much cool till fall BUT when a big pond
does go wonkers its dang near imposible to correct

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 22-07-2003, 03:55 AM
Gregory Young

I do a 10% water change each week (helps control nitrate levels, add trace
minerals back, etc, etc)
Backflush the bead filter twice a month.
Clean out skimmer basket twice each month
Add 3 doses of potash each season
Water test only if something changes... BUT I have low stocking levels, and
know my system, AND it is an established system
With new ponds I recommend regular testing first season, and then as needed,
but certainly following any major bioload additions (fish)
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 22-07-2003, 06:31 AM
*muffin*

I just got my koi clay.

IT has several ways to use IT. ( make into clay ball,toss into pond, mix
with feed)
which are your best was to use IT?

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Bonnie .... You don't use Koi Clay? Gasp!!!!
Your fish will Love you even more if you add it to their
environment.

Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Nedra

I just mix about 3 heaping tablespoons full in a plastic 2 cup glass..
fill with water from veggie filter.... then spread it all
about the pond. They know the minute it hits the water...
must have a softer feel??? just kiddn...Anyway, they
do love the stuff. Turns the water a charcoal color for a couple
of minutes... then fades into the pond. I haven't tried it in the
food yet.

Nedra

Old 22-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Nedra,
You are mean! How dare you use the word "CLAY" in same conversation
involving BV! "-)
"Just Me Koi...the aspiring clown from Cucamonga"

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Nedra" wrote in message
snipI do the maintenance dosages of Koi