Old 24-07-2003, 03:43 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Gambusia vs Koi babies

Wendy,

Thanks for the response about gambusia and koi babies.

Hmmm...Gambusia...we have them in abundance. That could be the problem. If I could catch a few of the koi and put them in my long veggie filter, I could perhaps produce a crop. Too hard to get the gambusia out of the main pond.

Anybody else have a problem with koi babies after introducing gambusia?

Jim

I haven't had any koi babies since adding the gambusia. I have a ton of
anacharis as well as wall to wall plants, so there's lots of places for
gambusia babies to hide. Well, I had a ton, I removed it 3 weeks ago
when I found it was the reason my bottom drain was clogging. That damn
bottom drain is sometimes more trouble than it's worth...

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at: www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
Old 29-07-2003, 09:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Anybody else have a problem with koi babies after introducing gambusia?
Jim

Other than I never got any koi babies until the gambusia were killed off
one winter. Seems they don't do well if one circulates the water, even
slowly during the winter. I had baby koi the next spring growing up in the
filter, where the gambusia use to get as thick as in the pond. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Jan,

Nasty choice he Kill gambusia and have mosquitos or have gambusia and no
koi babies.

I just can't see being totally without protection from West Nile and itch.
It would be no problem to clear gambusia out of one veggie filter for a
while, but it is a problem to catch koi and put them in there. I am not
even sure which are male.

I wonder if there are any small fish that eat mosquitos but not baby koi?

I wonder what John Rutz does in his pond? He got baby koi.

Maybe I'll post the question.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Old 29-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

ALL fish eat mosquito larvae, not just the gambusia and rosey reds. It's not
a matter of one or the other! Around here, gambusia are bred and distributed
for the use in retention ponds, ditches, puddles, etc., places you wouldn't
want to put "pet" fish. They're for "still" water or container gardens where
you don't have or want "real" fish, just something for mosquito control.
They're bred to be disposable. I've often wondered why folks intentionally
put them in ponds where they already have fish: it's counterproductive and a
real nuisance to get rid of them later. Another thing: moving water doesn't
attract mosquitos: if you have waterfall action, air bubbles, surface
current to your skimmer, you won't have mosquitos. Rain water that gets
caught in old tires in the back yard, a bucket you left out, etc. . . . THAT
grows mosquitos. Your fish pond doesn't G!

Lee

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message . ..

Old 30-07-2003, 06:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:22:16 -0500, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

Nasty choice he Kill gambusia and have mosquitos or have gambusia and no
koi babies.

If you really want koi babies, toss a couple of water hyacinths in during
spawning time and pull them out after the deed is done, put some place
separate (the veggie filter?) to grow out. Once you have baby koi in the
veggie filter you won't need gambusia, perhaps a mosquito dunk prior to
spawning would do? ~ jan

Old 30-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, I have not seen them spawn. No chases and no foam. I have lots
of parrots feather in one leg of the pond and can move it to a veggie filter
if I see a spawn or its aftermath.

I will keep an eye open.

Jim

wrote:

Nasty choice he Kill gambusia and have mosquitos or have gambusia and

no
koi babies.

If you really want koi babies, toss a couple of water hyacinths in during
spawning time and pull them out after the deed is done, put some place
separate (the veggie filter?) to grow out. Once you have baby koi in the
veggie filter you won't need gambusia, perhaps a mosquito dunk prior to
spawning would do? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Babies! - "Dendrobium Babies.jpg" 102.9 KBytes BetsyB Orchids 14 23-03-2004 09:44 PM
Gambusia....toughest fish on earth? Jay Adair Ponds 8 10-09-2003 02:02 PM
ping John Rutz on mosquito control koi babies and gambusia Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 3 29-07-2003 09:12 PM
koi babies? *muffin* Ponds 2 26-07-2003 10:42 PM
new babies molli Orchids 1 31-03-2003 02:56 AM