Old 26-07-2003, 08:32 PM
GaneaRowenna

Default I Have a Frog!!!!

I was just out using the PondTabs that RichToyBox told me about, and I found a
frog. I don't know where he/she came from. I live in the high desert and have
never seen a frog anywhere near my house. I just received some plants from a
friend, I wonder if it came from there. I didn't get a real close look at it,
but it looks to be a light green with maybe some bluish around his eyes. I am
so excited. This maybe a dumb question, but... Do frogs mate? Do I need more
frogs to make more frogs? I hear you all laughing already. hehe
BTW, I am working on my pond website, hopefully will have it up soon.
ShawnAnne
High Desert, zone 6
Old 26-07-2003, 09:12 PM
K30a

Shawn wrote This maybe a dumb question, but... Do frogs mate? Do I need more
frogs to make more frogs?

Do bears... never mind, ;-)

Yes and you'll know it when they do.
Males will call, each call is pretty specific to the particular frog you have.
Frogs usually move about when it rains, or in the cool of the night.
Frogs lay their eggs in floating jelly like masses.
Toads lay their eggs in jelly like strings.
Some frogs are more aquatic that others and will hang in and around the pond.
Others leave for the trees (treefrogs for example).
Toads breed in the pond and their babies leave to be land dwellers.
Go to google.com and enter your state name and native amphibians. You'll
probably find a page that might help you ID the fellow you have.
Let us know what he is if you can ID him!

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 26-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Remember the line from the movie, "If you build it, they will come." ? I
guess it's true.

Also, if one frog could find your pond, others probably will be able to
also!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 26-07-2003, 10:12 PM
DonKcR

Hi, If you have dogs or cats be sure to find out what type of frog or toad
you have. They can be poisonous to pets. I had to relocate three toads from
our place because our small dogs used to hunt them down. Kc

Old 27-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Nedra

Frogs are NON-poisonous - at least as far as I know.
Some species of toads emit a chemical that is indeed poisonous.

No point in scaring the be-jeebers out of everyone who has
frogs in their ponds ;-)
Frogs are Okay.

Nedra

Old 27-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Dave Fouchey

Well there are Frogs and Frogs as it were. But since I don't think
they live where Dendrobates are found, the statement "frog's aren't
poisonous" is reasonably accurate. And most Toads are simply
irritating, the major exception being the Imported Cane Toad, Bufo
marinus, found in Southern Coastal states where it was introduced, as
well as Australian where it is an introduced pest.

The toxins emitted from the parotid glands of Bufo marinus (Large
Bumps behind the eye) can indeed kill pets. However most dogs get into
a toad ONCE and swear off them from then on. And the benefits of Toads
and Frogs for pest control FAR outweighs any slight danger they might
pose to pets.

IMHO of course yours may differ.

Dave

"DonKcR" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

Offical Frog ~ Pacific Chorus Frog kthirtya Ponds (moderated) 1 02-05-2007 05:18 PM
I have it , I have my allotment at last :) Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 4 08-08-2006 02:27 PM
We have a baby Bull Frog Steve and Lisa Ponds 2 09-08-2003 06:12 PM
I have frog eggs! KMartin Ponds 2 27-06-2003 11:56 AM
We have frog spawn Kay Easton United Kingdom 18 23-03-2003 07:44 PM