Old 28-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Megan Wilson

Default What to do to prepare for rain?

Hello All.

This is mainly a question for all of you who deal with rain all through the
fall, winter, and spring (Oregon and and other northwestern states for
instance). I'm just starting out (the excavator is comming on friday), but i
was wondering what i should expect/prepare for in the winter. I've read
about liners floating up during heavy rains and other such things, so i was
just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for things i can do now
as i'm building the pond to prevent problems in the rainy seasons, Thanks!

Megs

Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
RichToyBox

Megs,

Try to build the pond slightly higher than the surrounding yard. One it
keeps the runoff out of the pond, and that really helps to keep the water
quality higher, and minimize the likelihood of pesticides or other toxins
out of the pond. Also by being higher than the surroundings, the weight of
water in the pond is heavier than the water on the outside, so the liner
cannot be lifted if the pond is full. If the soil type is a very dense clay
that allows water down between the liner and the soil, but will not allow it
to percolate, you could put in a layer of sand with a perforated pipe
embedded to hook a pump to in the future if water does get under the liner.

Have fun and enjoy your new pond. Oh by the way, make it bigger, and
deeper. And then make it even bigger and deeper. Ask on here and we will
tell you when to stop digging.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Anne Lurie

What's this I see before me? A person who thinks ahead? I salute you! You
go, Girl!!!

Anne Lurie
(a bit too feisty in) Raleigh, NC

Old 28-07-2003, 11:32 PM
K30a

Megan wrote other northwestern states for
instance

Rain??
Only half of Oregon and Washington are lush and green.... sigh!
I grew up on the moldy side of the state (WA) and province (BC).
Over here in SE WA we get 7 inches of rain a year
and it is 104 today.
109 predicted for Wednesday.
sob!

k30a