Old 28-07-2003, 05:32 PM
ann in houston

Default on "placing" nice pond comets

I do plan to go around with my eyes open for ponds and new pond
construction in my neighbors' yards, but that won't be enough to find
homes for all of them. I know of two neighbors with huge ponds that
are very deep, but they have geese. Do geese eat fish? They have
teeth! Also, I know geese and ducks foul a pond's water pretty badly.
Will these ponds be good places for comets?
There is a law around here that large building complexes must have
'retention ponds' for runoff to avoid contributing to our local
flooding problem. Many places have turned these into water features
with spray fountains and all. If they don't run off to ditches, would
these large installations be good candidates? I wouldn't just dump
them in. I would go and ask the management. Would the fish starve?
I don't necessarily see water plants in them for the fish to eat.
Would bugs be plentiful enough for them?
How hard is it to ship fish to takers that live farther away. It's
probably pretty expensive. We have an old styrofoam shipping
container from some fish we bought from the web. Maybe someone would
split the p&h with us.
More thoughts from any of you?
Ann
Old 28-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Lee Brouillet

Another thing to consider about those retention ponds is that their primary
job is to catch run off: from the driveways, from the parking lots, from the
grass. They're full of things that are not nice for a fish (oil, gas,
fertilizers, pesticides just to mention a few). They look nice, but they
don't have critters in 'em.

Lee

"ann in houston" wrote in message
om...
[...]

placing large flat stones around base of young trees Pass me the gentle persuader United Kingdom 4 04-08-2015 04:44 PM
placing Ulmus Thomasii on endangered species list Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 1 06-09-2009 09:45 PM
Comets outgrew pond? animaux Ponds 2 02-11-2003 01:34 AM
Comets outgrew pond? animaux Ponds 4 02-11-2003 01:33 AM
Placing sod at bottom of trench? Bob Muir Gardening 0 03-05-2003 05:44 PM