Old 29-07-2003, 02:32 PM
NJ

Default Spawning Frequency

We discovered fish eggs in our pond twice in two weeks. I have only seen
one of the sarasas being chased and bothered, ever, and not really all that
much. Can a fish lay eggs with this frequency, or do I have more than one
female in my pond?

The first batch did produce some fry, but I fear they were eaten in short
order since I never saw a trace of them after the initial sighting. This
second batch turned into 15-year old son's summer project: he took the eggs
out and put them in a separate tank. We have counted 20 fry, but even after
researching their care, we really have no clear idea of what exactly we are
doing. Hoping at least one survives.

NJ

Old 29-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Hal

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:25:58 -0400, "NJ" wrote:

The first batch did produce some fry, but I fear they were eaten in short
order since I never saw a trace of them after the initial sighting. This
second batch turned into 15-year old son's summer project: he took the eggs
out and put them in a separate tank. We have counted 20 fry, but even after
researching their care, we really have no clear idea of what exactly we are
doing. Hoping at least one survives.

Might try feeding them boiled egg yolk.
A tip from Brett Rowley some years back.

Regards,

Hal
Old 30-07-2003, 02:32 AM
NJ

"Hal" wrote in message
Might try feeding them boiled egg yolk.
A tip from Brett Rowley some years back.

I broke down and bought a vial of fry food at the discount pet store. It
wasn't too terribly expensive, and my son is determined to give this a go.
Wish us luck!

NJ

Old 31-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Hal

The very best!
Regards,
Hal

Old 31-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Charles

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:25:58 -0400, "NJ" wrote:

We discovered fish eggs in our pond twice in two weeks. I have only seen
one of the sarasas being chased and bothered, ever, and not really all that
much. Can a fish lay eggs with this frequency, or do I have more than one
female in my pond?

The first batch did produce some fry, but I fear they were eaten in short
order since I never saw a trace of them after the initial sighting. This
second batch turned into 15-year old son's summer project: he took the eggs
out and put them in a separate tank. We have counted 20 fry, but even after
researching their care, we really have no clear idea of what exactly we are
doing. Hoping at least one survives.

NJ

I had a trio in a tank that went through the motions about every four
to five days, from November to May, when I got tired of it and put
them into the pond. they were shooting blanks toward the end, no fry,
but I had enough from the first few spawnings anyway.
--

- Charles
-

Old 03-08-2003, 12:12 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I haven't seen a fry yet with my fish. I believe they are old enough to spawn.
I tri tried to sex them but it's hard.

Sacha
Old 03-08-2003, 05:03 PM
sandra

Easiest way is to see who is chasing who during spawning. I successfully
sexed all but one fish this way. Someone wrote here once that koi spawn once
a season? Im not sure about that based on observation of ours. Goldfish on
the other hand spawn frequently.
sandra

Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
I haven't seen a fry yet with my fish. I believe they are old enough to

spawn.
I tri tried to sex them but it's hard.

I love my pond, and am dedicated to it...but I ain't sexin' no fish. No How.
No Way

BV.