Old 02-08-2003, 07:42 AM
*muffin*

Default stranger in my pond

I saw a 'stranger' in my pond tonight..
a fish about 1 inch long!!!

weird.
it was a grayish/brown.

of course , I guess it could have hitchhiked along any plant etc...
I just wish my pond was clear enough to take a pic!
we were experimenting with pond lights.decided to try putting those rope
lights IN the pond woven through the egg crates. test length was ok, we have
to silicone the sections together to drop in longer lengths.......anyway,,
while looking at the strand of lights & watching the fish get used to this
new *light* ,, I see this little fish swim by........
well I sure hope its NOT something dangerous......... ok what could be
dangerous??? catfish?? most likely an egg that hatched on some of the plants
I got from people... a few on here...
(which btw,, I actually saw an ad on ebay,, where they are selling plants
with the sales pitch, that MANY of their past plants, have hatched koi fry
for their new owners......... ok, how common is that?)

Old 03-08-2003, 02:43 AM
RichToyBox

The eggs can be transported with the plants, but I don't think fry could be.
The koi will usually spawn once in the late spring, early summer and the
eggs hatch in about 3 days. So unless the plants were harvested right after
a spawn, and transported quickly, I doubt that any fish would come with the
plants. The eggs have to stay in the water to hatch. I harvest lettuce and
hyacinths with eggs and carry them from one pond to a stock watering trough
for hatching.
--
RichToyBox

Old 04-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Sue Walsh

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:ZLZWa.36322$cF.13768@rwcrnsc53...
The eggs can be transported with the plants, but I don't think fry could be.
The koi will usually spawn once in the late spring, early summer and the
eggs hatch in about 3 days. So unless the plants were harvested right after
a spawn, and transported quickly, I doubt that any fish would come with the
plants.

RichToyBox

Rich,
I definately received fish eggs on purchased plants and they turned
into two fish which are now living in my pond. Here how I'm sure. I
filled my new pond. I never stocked it with any fish. I added plants
which I purchased at a local pet store (anacharis). Still never
having added any fish about 2 months later we drained the pond to
redig it and there were 2 baby goldfish living in my pond (brown and
clear still so rather young). So it does happen! These two are now
about 3" long and doing well.

Sue W.