Old 22-04-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID of purple stranger

Hullo. I cannot find what this plant is nor can I remember me planting
it there - mind gone blank. I have another one in my front garden bang
on the middle of my precious border. I don't mind it, slugs don't seem
to like it either. But at the back in my raised bed it's HUGE. Ta for
any info.

http://cjoint.com/?ewry0A40XY

Old 22-04-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote:
Hullo. I cannot find what this plant is nor can I remember me planting
it there - mind gone blank. I have another one in my front garden bang
on the middle of my precious border. I don't mind it, slugs don't seem
to like it either. But at the back in my raised bed it's HUGE. Ta for
any info.
---

Lunaria (Honesty). I have it growing in my garden.

MikeCT

Old 22-04-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hullo. I cannot find what this plant is nor can I remember me planting
it there - mind gone blank. I have another one in my front garden bang
on the middle of my precious border. I don't mind it, slugs don't seem
to like it either. But at the back in my raised bed it's HUGE. Ta for
any info.

http://cjoint.com/?ewry0A40XY

:-))

Let it go to seed and dry it :-)) Wonderful for flower arrangements :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 22-04-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 16:40, "MikeCT" wrote:
Lunaria (Honesty). I have it growing in my garden.

Off course!!! Thank you Mike and Mike! I'm an idiot ... honestly.
These are Rusty's seeds would you beleive - I must have just scattered
them along with others 'gift' and totally forgotten. At the lotty at
the back I've got a lot too - why didn't I thought of it? Beats me but
so glad you folks are here. I think I should write down what I osw
because I forget most of the time ... Thanks again.

Old 22-04-2007, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 22 Apr, 16:40, "MikeCT" wrote:
Lunaria (Honesty). I have it growing in my garden.

Off course!!! Thank you Mike and Mike! I'm an idiot ... honestly.
These are Rusty's seeds would you beleive - I must have just scattered
them along with others 'gift' and totally forgotten. At the lotty at
the back I've got a lot too - why didn't I thought of it? Beats me but
so glad you folks are here. I think I should write down what I osw
because I forget most of the time ... Thanks again.

Aren't you just glad that you haven't 'pretended' to kill file me like one
poor sad old woman on this site?

:-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 22-04-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 17:26, Anne Jackson wrote:
Lunaria annua
Also known as Honesty, or Silver Pennies in our garden.

Oy! Keep up at the back! But thank you Anne ))

How is it up there north north? Any rain?! Got lots today - brilliant!
Hope it last all week but then abruptly stop next Saturday....

Old 22-04-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 18:58, Anne Jackson wrote:
'Dreich' with 'smirry' rain. Not really enough to make a lot of
difference...but I visited the Scottish Rock Garden Society show
yesterday, joined the Society and bought a *whole lot* of plants...
three dozen or more, and I won't tell Bill how much I paid for them!
He'd have a fit! G

Arghhh... the story of my life ;o) I always say: 'it was a bargain I
tell you, a bargain!!'. It always work. In any case he spends on the
structures and I spend on the research, plants, installation and fun
(not to forget hard labour). I recently spent a bit - he built a new
bike shed and I did the roof garden. Almost a ton of soil up there,
membrane, gravel etc. Hard work to bring the lot up there ... here,
take a look (I'm really really pleased).

http://cjoint.com/?ewwy1yhd8R

Old 23-04-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 22:46, Anne Jackson wrote:
A .pdf file? I thought it was never going to open!

Good things comes to those who waits ... ;o)

Very impressive, though...what have you planted up there?
Won't it dry out terribly in the heat of the summer?

Green roof retain around 80% of rain fall - hence the fantastic range
of plants we can grow up there. Although it's due south, the sun gets
on it at around 11am and goes at around 2pm, so it's sheltered. The
wind is minimised by the triangle structure, a remnent to the old
garage there and with a large privet, a red cedar and lots of ivy
around it, the roof won't dry out so much. I need a couple of years to
really understand how it will settle really. Also mine is 'a deep
one', 15cm deep, compared to the usual sedum blankets or just grass.
We went for wild flowers too, knautia, camomile, a variety of herbs,
scabious, marjoran, thyme ... woad, marguerites, ragged robins ... and
there's lots of room left. I fancy putting some tomatoes too though
there's not a lot of sun there. It's another place to experiment - I
don't have much room as you can see!!

For those living around Yorkshire there's funding available to built
green roofs - closing date 31st May.

http://www.thegreenroofcentre.co.uk/design10.4.html

--
'She'

) 'Her'

Old 23-04-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
La Puce wrote:

On 22 Apr, 16:40, "MikeCT" wrote:
Lunaria (Honesty). I have it growing in my garden.

Off course!!! Thank you Mike and Mike! I'm an idiot ... honestly.
These are Rusty's seeds would you beleive - I must have just scattered
them along with others 'gift' and totally forgotten. At the lotty at
the back I've got a lot too - why didn't I thought of it? Beats me but
so glad you folks are here. I think I should write down what I osw
because I forget most of the time ... Thanks again.

I've got loads of Honesty this year, both the purple form
and the white form. And just a few of the variegated leafed
variety. I was very skeptical that this would be variegated from
seed - but it is. Mine came from Bolton Percy churchyard
- but I think Chiltern sells it.
Old 23-04-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Apr, 14:42, John McMillan
wrote:
I've got loads of Honesty this year, both the purple form
and the white form. And just a few of the variegated leafed
variety. I was very skeptical that this would be variegated from
seed - but it is. Mine came from Bolton Percy churchyard
- but I think Chiltern sells it.

White?! I want !!! Can you save me some seeds?

Old 24-04-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
La Puce wrote:

On 23 Apr, 14:42, John McMillan
wrote:
I've got loads of Honesty this year, both the purple form
and the white form. And just a few of the variegated leafed
variety. I was very skeptical that this would be variegated from
seed - but it is. Mine came from Bolton Percy churchyard
- but I think Chiltern sells it.

White?! I want !!! Can you save me some seeds?

In theory. Of course, by the time its set seed you can't see
what colour the flowers were. And of course the bees cross
pollinate it so some will revert to purple, and some of the
variegated will revert to white. And then its a biennial
so you don't get to find out until this time in 2009.

Chiltern have Lunaria Annua which I suppose is the purple
form, Lunaria Annua var Alba which is the white form and
Lunaria Annua var Variegata which is the variegated white form.
They also have Lunaria Rediviva which is claimed to be
a perennial version - anyone have any success with that?

Perhaps I should mark my plants somehow (?) so that I know
which were which when I come to harvest the seed.
Old 24-04-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Apr, 14:13, John McMillan
wrote:
In theory. Of course, by the time its set seed you can't see
what colour the flowers were. And of course the bees cross
pollinate it so some will revert to purple, and some of the
variegated will revert to white. And then its a biennial
so you don't get to find out until this time in 2009.

I'll be patient ... This is why I didn't see Rusty's plants last year
and therefore wondered why this plant had grown there. I had
forgotten.

Chiltern have Lunaria Annua which I suppose is the purple
form, Lunaria Annua var Alba which is the white form and
Lunaria Annua var Variegata which is the variegated white form.
They also have Lunaria Rediviva which is claimed to be
a perennial version - anyone have any success with that?

Perhaps I should mark my plants somehow (?) so that I know
which were which when I come to harvest the seed.

Please, try ... It's so much nicer to get free seeds from someone.
It's like a gift. I've made a note in someone else's garden, on our
way to school, where they have lots of white aquilegias. For three
years I kept thinking that I must pick some seeds and kept forgetting
where the white ones where. This year my son's promised to take a
picture, tee hee, but I will have to go and knock on the door.
Thankfully the residents will get involved in a Neighbour's Day I'm
organising on the close behind that house and it will make that task
much more easy )

(Neighbour's day is an international event ran by councils for street
party and events to celebrate European Neighbours. This year I'm
running 2, linked with Britain in Bloom. Closing dates is 11th May -
if you are interested www.european-neighbours-day.com. There's 200
pounds available per projects).

Crocus Barr's Purple ramyad Gardening 0 04-04-2009 04:10 AM
Purple flower 3 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:01 AM
Purple flower 2 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:00 AM
Stranger in the Forest - Eric Hansen K Barrett Orchids 2 29-07-2006 12:57 AM
stranger in my pond *muffin* Ponds 2 04-08-2003 12:26 PM