Old 05-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default Anyone swim in their koi pond?

A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool.
Made me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?

Old 05-08-2003, 05:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool.
Made me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?

Periodically...but not on purpose.

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:02 PM
john rutz

Andrew Burgess wrote:
A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool.
Made me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?

-- I wade in it quite frequently, my grandkids like to "swim" in it
though they are geting a bit big to actualy swim as its onlu three ft deep

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 05-08-2003, 06:12 PM
John Hines

Andrew Burgess wrote:

A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool.
Made me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?

There is nothing more embracing than the spring/fall wade where the
really cold water is up to the nether regions.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Chris Herring

How do the koi feel about sharing their pond? Are they tramatized?
Entertained? Or polite and hospitable but secretly watching the clock?

Chris

Old 05-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Alan Taylor

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:49:50 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Burgess
wrote:

A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool.
Made me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?

I've swam in mine (Using real scuba gear) when I dropped a part of the
pump I was cleaning to the bottom. Very interesting seeing the fish up
close. They didn't seem to mind that much.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:42 PM
K30a

I sit on the edge that has turf and dangle my
feet and legs in the water. The fish like to nose and check things out.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 05-08-2003, 06:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chris Herring" wrote in message
news
How do the koi feel about sharing their pond? Are they tramatized?
Entertained? Or polite and hospitable but secretly watching the clock?
snip

Mine nip at my legs.

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

Not intentionally, but I've been known to do the ol' "slip 'n' dunk" a few
times G. It scares the bejeesus outta the fish when I surface flailing my
arms and making unholy utterances!

You might want to do a Google; a few years back, the Europeans were doing
the swim pond/koi pond thing. Someone like Sam could swim with his fishies
if he wants to, but my pond's small enough that one good kick-off and I'd be
at the other end already!

Lee

Old 06-08-2003, 01:02 AM
RichToyBox

I wade in mine about every week during the summer, and every month during
the winter. I have to feed lilies, remove spent flowers, old pads, prune
back the taro, occasionally vacuum. The fish don't seem to mind, and if I
stand still for a few minutes they are checking me out. Of course when I
slip and do a bunch of flailing to get my balance, they head for the other
end of the pond, where it is safe.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Basil Malithorne

Andrew asked:
"A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool. Made me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?"

I'll take a dip in the old pond from time to time, au natural, so I don't bring in any soap residue or anything from my clothes or add any algae to my wash. You almost can't avoid it when working with lilies and the pump in my particular setup. The fish don't seem to mind, and before the jokes fly, don't worry, they leave the large fuzzy worm alone. ;-)

Malithorne
Old 06-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Hank

Oh no! Not me! Even I wouldn't comment on that one. Well
maybe......... No I can't.

As for swimming in the pond ........... My bathtub is bigger and less
crowded, but on the other hand probably not as much fun.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Andrew asked:

Old 06-08-2003, 03:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Basil Malithorne" wrote in message
Andrew asked:
"A friend is debating between a koi pond and a small swimming pool. Made
me wonder, does anyone swim/wade/soak in their koi pond?"

I'll take a dip in the old pond from time to time, au natural, so I
don't bring in any soap residue or anything from my clothes or add any algae
to my wash. You almost can't avoid it when working with lilies and the pump
in my particular setup. The fish don't seem to mind, and before the jokes
fly, don't worry, they leave the large fuzzy worm alone. ;-)

Malithorne

Big fuzzy worm? Sounds like you need the thread entitled "Does size matter
when stocking Koi". Ha! That's twice this week, I got to make that joke.

BV.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Kevin Carbis

My kids are always begging to get in with the Koi but I haven't let
them yet. We have a big swimming pool for them.

I have gone in a few times, but usually just for some sort of
maintenance. I'll hang out a bit with the Koi, but as someone said
"they don't seem to mind but they are secretly watching the clock".
My big Ogon did swim right into my mask once. We both got a kick out
of that.

I tend to avoid going in if I can, I could be covered in soap residue
or have trace quantities of PVC glue or pipe flux or who knows what
else on me. Better to keep that out of the water, its hard enough to
keep the water when I know whats in there.