Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
FBCS

Default Well Water

If I have well water is iron a problem to the pond/fish?

Old 13-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Gregory Young

What level is the iron in your well water (in ppm)?
If it's above 1.5 - 2 ppm, you should go for a conditioning system for your
home, as higher iron levels can stain clothing, and cause buildup on your
shower nozzles, faucets, etc..
Greg

Old 14-08-2003, 01:42 AM
FBCS

I didn't have a test for it, didn't know they made one. I does effect my
home and I won't drink it. My thinking, if it can turn a dishwasher orange
or stain basins what will it do to me. That is why I pose the question what
about the pond? Does it effect the fish?
. ..

Old 14-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Barbara2245

"FBCS" wrote in message ...
If I have well water is iron a problem to the pond/fish?

My well water comes from a 115 foot deep well. I do 30-50% water
changes. Thios spring I cleaned the bottom of the pond after emptying
all the water.I refilled the pond with three hoses but always make
sure I spray the water in from one hose. The fish were put in the pond
after it was filled. The temps were in the 60's. No fish died. The
water is hard and the pH is 8.4. Happy water gardening.
Old 14-08-2003, 06:09 AM

yeah, good idea to use oxygen or PP to precipitate the iron out (use a bucket filter
with gravel to trap the precip in an aging vat) if it is really a lot of iron. it
can precip into their gills and cause problems. If you are adding smaller amounts of
water it shouldnt hurt. Ingrid

"FBCS" wrote:

If I have well water is iron a problem to the pond/fish?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 14-08-2003, 06:09 AM
FBCS

I have always done large changes (25% or more) espesially when I accidently
drain my pond or fall in when cleaning. Fish seem happy enough, but I have
a terrible time with water clarity.
"Barbara2245" wrote in message
m...

Old 14-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Sam Hopkins

As long as your PH is 7 it'll perc out. I have high iron water and no ill
effects.

Sam

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM