Old 13-08-2003, 11:34 PM
EEEK

Default My koi have become coy

I was out-of-town for a few days and returned on Sunday. Normally, I have
somebody feed my koi when I'm gone for more than a day or two, but decided
they'd be fine without any feedings. Upon returning home I gave them their
usual food and they didn't eat it. I've tried feeding them several more
times and they're just not interested. Not only that, they are also
keeping well below the surface all day long. I tested the water and all
relevant chemical levels are fine. Any ideas? Thanx!

Old 14-08-2003, 12:32 AM
K30a

They may have been visited by a heron or
kingfisher while you were gone. A raccoon
usually does a good job trashing the pond but
herons and kingfishers may only leave a feather
behind. Even if they didn't catch anything the
fish will be spooked for awhile.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 14-08-2003, 12:32 AM

A video camera will work wonders while on vacation.
A automatic water heron will help.

Old 14-08-2003, 03:32 AM
joe

EEEK wrote:

I was out-of-town for a few days and returned on Sunday. Normally, I have
somebody feed my koi when I'm gone for more than a day or two, but decided
they'd be fine without any feedings. Upon returning home I gave them their
usual food and they didn't eat it. I've tried feeding them several more
times and they're just not interested. Not only that, they are also
keeping well below the surface all day long. I tested the water and all
relevant chemical levels are fine. Any ideas? Thanx!

Visit by big blue bird. Heron. They are probably just jittery.

Joe

Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Karen Mullen

In article om, "Cybe R.
Wizard" writes:

The same behavior may be noticed for a while after you must dip net a
fish out if they are not used to the net. I gave away some mid-sized
goldfish in the spring and didn't see my koi for a day or two afterward.

I have a pond leaf net that I use when I'm cleaning the water surface, the fish
are so used to seeing it that they swim in while I'm cleaning, so I use that
same net to catch them when needed (which thank goodness isn't very often) but
then again, they swim into my hands too.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 14-08-2003, 05:32 PM
EEEK

Thanx for the responses!

The kids still aren't surfacing, but I'll be patient for a couple more days
and then I'll start to panic all over again.