Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Robyn Rhudy

Default Five raccoons at once!!

You guys think you have raccoon problems! Most nights, a raccoon or
sometimes two comes to eat leftover cat and dog food. As for my 8 ponds
(yes, 8), they, as far as I know, have not gotten any fish in 6 years (my
secret? Cliffs, lots of plants, who knows) but do sometimes leave snails
around the edge (not eaten but dead! At least eat them dudes!), toss
duckweed around, put dirt in the cat's water bowl (with duckweed topping),
and make some mess. I've never actually seen them in a pond but have
found a few pots (not a lot) knocked over. Anyway, a few nights ago, I
went to dump the excess hedgehog (yes, hedgehog) food outside for Cooney
but she brought along 4 buddies! They were full grown but young so I'm
guessing, since raccoons are generally solitary, that these were her
babies. They were so cute! When I went out, you should have seen their
faces. I don't think they'd ever seen a human before! They were
surprised and curious and then ran off. Now we'll have five of them
getting in trouble. While the fish are probably safe, they do love to
break every single bird feeder I put up! The love hummingbird sugar water
too and like to empty it out. What feeders they don't finish off, the
squirrels do.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_