Old 17-08-2003, 02:22 AM
John Burton

Default When to add what

Might be a stoopid question but here goes.

I just filled my 11x16 pond (Aquascape w/Biofalls) Thursday. I have added
chemicals as recommended, to include bacteria (dry).

When should I start tossing fishes into my new pond? When should I start
planting plants and what type would be the better choice for me to start off
in zone 7?

Thanks !

--==jb==--

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

Old 17-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Nedra

I would start slowly with everything! I'll leave the plants to
someone else... but I can address the fish.

I was told to wait a month before adding fish...
This is to let the water cure. You wont be sorry
you waited. Oh yes... Understock! That is don't put more
than a couple of goldfish in ... and maybe a couple of shubunkins.
I hope you have researched the topic
of fish - this will make sure you know what
your getting into ;-)

I would advice_against_ getting mosquito fish, minnows, etc.
They multiply at an alarming rate!

Good Luck...

Nedra

Old 17-08-2003, 03:22 AM
RichToyBox

Start planting now. You will probably find an assortment of plants at your
local pond shop. As late as it is in the season, I think I would only look
at the hardy plants. The sooner you get the plants going the better.
Personally, I would wait a couple of weeks to start adding fish. The fish
should be added in 2's or 3's, to allow the filter to catch up with them.
You will find that the pond will go green, and there have been posted green
water hints. Look them up, or maybe they will be posted again. Get test
kits for ammonia, nitrite, KH carbonate hardness, pH, and possibly GH
hardness, and salt. You will need them as you start the pond. The ammonia
will spike, and you need to know when it is back down before adding
additional batches of fish. After the ammonia spike, there will be a
nitrite spike. It is also toxic, so introducing small numbers of fish,
keeps these levels low. As you read posts, you will find out what the other
test kits are for and what values you should be seeing.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi John

Your impulse control is amazing. We found weeks of wait before fish more
than we wanted to wait. It is also not necessary.

We put tropicals and goldfish in aquaria once the chlorine is out. A couple
of goldfish do just fine in a 10 gal. aquarium. Think how much they will
like an 11 x 16 pond!

Ponds can be treated in the same way as an aquarium IF you are understocked.
You can put a few small fish in pretty much right away. Watching the
chemistry will add security.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 18-08-2003, 04:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Burton" wrote in message
Might be a stoopid question but here goes.

I just filled my 11x16 pond (Aquascape w/Biofalls) Thursday. I have added
chemicals as recommended, to include bacteria (dry).

When should I start tossing fishes into my new pond? When should I start
planting plants and what type would be the better choice for me to start

off
in zone 7?

As for plants...add them first! Water Hyacinth is nice looking and will aid
in filtration, as will water lettuce, and frogbit. Duckweed and Azolla are
very pretty and will be nice treats for the fish. A lily or two would look
fastastic, as would any of the many dwarf or miniature lotus.

I'd suggest waiting a week, and then test the water for pH,
Chlorine/Chloramines, etc. I would then start small, only one or two fish.
I'd continue to test for ammonia every few days, to make sure your system is
keeping up with the fish.

Old 18-08-2003, 04:42 PM
BenignVanilla

[...]

Should I bother to add co2? Jay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 01-05-2003 03:44 PM
Ok to add KNO3 without others? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
When to add fish? Mainpin Ponds 1 22-03-2003 02:44 PM
is my carbon insert removing nutrients I'm trying to add? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-03-2003 03:32 AM
Should I add rock, soil(mud) in my pond? John Ponds 3 08-03-2003 07:45 PM