Old 20-08-2003, 07:22 PM
DePonder

Default Water Lily

I got a hardy lily last week at Lowe's on sale. It had been sitting in
barely enough water to cover the top of the pot for most of the summer. It
had several pads but the stems were only a couple of inches long at the
most.
I took it home and re-potted it, gave it some furterlizer and dropped it
into my pond about 35 inches deep.
Well I was afraid that it would go into shock and die immediately but within
4 days I have about 6-8 lily pads on top of the water! I am so pleased. I
don't really care if it blooms now as long as it survives!

Debbie

Old 21-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Sue Walsh

"DePonder"
I got a hardy lily last week at Lowe's on sale. It had been sitting in
barely enough water to cover the top of the pot for most of the summer. It
had several pads but the stems were only a couple of inches long at the
most.
I took it home and re-potted it, gave it some furterlizer and dropped it
into my pond about 35 inches deep.
Well I was afraid that it would go into shock and die immediately but within
4 days I have about 6-8 lily pads on top of the water! I am so pleased. I
don't really care if it blooms now as long as it survives!

Debbie

That lily is just saying "Thank You for rescuing me"

I'm always upset at the conditions places like Lowe's keep their
plants in.

My daughter Laura sometimes goes and gets the worst plants when they
are on sale, just to rescue them, with TLC they usually do great. She
also rescues dogs, cats, birds, frogs and any other critters in
distress! Sorry, I guess that's off the topic. She does have a pond
and gave me mine.

Sue W

See my pond album called 'Rippling Waters'
http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd
Old 21-08-2003, 02:22 PM
DePonder

I am the same way! I had a volunteer sunflower (from birdseed) come up
beside the pond in a spot where I didn't especially want it but I didn't
have the heart to just pull it up and I waited too late to try to transplant
it else where so there it is... 6 feet tall and it was just beautiful...
What makes me angry about places like Lowe's and the Depot is that they will
let the plants get in such bad condition before they will put them on sale.
I think they had rather throw them away then sell them for a buck or so!

Debbie

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
"DePonder"

Old 22-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Lee Brouillet

Water lilies can grow so fast they scare ya! I don't know how they do it:
I've seen leaves reach the surface (like yours did) in *hours*: I think if I
stood there long enough, I could actually watch them grow G. Good luck
with it . . . it should do nicely now that it has room to grow.

Lee

Old 22-08-2003, 06:08 AM
joe

Lee Brouillet wrote:

Water lilies can grow so fast they scare ya! I don't know how they do it:
I've seen leaves reach the surface (like yours did) in *hours*: I think if I
stood there long enough, I could actually watch them grow G. Good luck
with it . . . it should do nicely now that it has room to grow.

I know what you mean. I start mine nearer the surface, then move them deeper
as they grow. I put one with about six leaves so that the leaves were all
about a foot below the surface. The next morning the next morning they were
on top again.

Joe

Old 27-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Danny H

So Sue,

You have a house load of animals crawling around then..

ouch

--
www.dannyhatt.com
www.dannyhatt.com/photos add your pics

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
"DePonder"

Old 27-08-2003, 08:12 PM
D Kat

I'm a compulsive plant rescuer. My back yard is filled with plants that
neighbors have dug up and put on the curb for the trashman to take away.
You can't believe what people will dig up and throw out because they want
something "new". It is really a shame that our area has stopped yard waste
pickup as they once did it and that it makes people cut up everything and
rope it into bales..... Now my rescue work is limited to nursery chains. DK

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
"DePonder"